Well I Got 'R' Done

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally finished installing my new Champion Radiator. First, I installed the engine block petcocks. Second, did the ***** Flush. Third, R & R the radiators. Fourth, installed the coolant bypass filter & vacuum controlled heater core bypass as per The Diesel Page. Finally, filled with 4 gallons of Fleetcharge and 4 gallons of distilled water and checked the operation of the bypasses and for leaks...Success!

Man that radiator sure is purty! The install went perfect. Everything fit well. The gap between the rear of radiator and shroud was even all the way across. The gap is about 1/2" wide. Both the upper and lower radiator hoses have about 3/8" clearance from the shroud where they hook up to the radiator. All in all, like I said everything fit perfect. I was worried there might be some problems as reported by some of the guys, so I suppose I run into a streak of good luck.

Couple more things and I'm off here...My a/c does seem colder as a result of the heater core bypass. My engine temps are running about 10 degrees lower...probably because my old radiator was partially plugged in spots on the outside fin areas with dirt and stuff. No light was getting thru so I would guess no airflow either. I am satisfied with the whole thing. Now to find the correct test strips for when I need them. I would recommend the Champion to anyone who is in need of a new radiator...Well there's my nickels worth....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad the install went without any problems. Many members are starting to understand the cost verses overheating these engines. Clearly an aluminum radiater can't fix whats broken in the cooling system... But they fix everything else..

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum Radiator

Glad the install went without any problems. Many members are starting to understand the cost verses overheating these engines. Clearly an aluminum radiater can't fix whats broken in the cooling system... But they fix everything else..

Yeah I hear you...The aluminum radiator...I think...is a good alternative to the what I think is an expensive oem one. Most of us with an elderly truck who really like them for there simplicity and abilities are always looking for ways to keep them running and on the road. I have been slowly restoring mine with a few upgrades and work arounds to make it better than when it rolled off the assembly line. I am almost there...next up will be a new paint job.

I would rather restore vs. purchasing new and be stuck with payments and high insurance...plus the old girl might become a classic that's worth something. All I know is the truck is really dependable and easy to work on. It's like a labor of love.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US