Finally done with "summer" projects

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally finished the last todo item for summer with getting the skid plate installed. Timing belt was wrapped up last weekend and all seems good there.

The skid plate is a cheap ebay unit. Had to get some longer hardware, 8 bolts used to join the two panels were initially too short and not engaging the nylocks.

Slightly worried about ground clearance and not opposed to a small lift but we'll see - the driver CV angle seems kind of steep already.

Busted up the radiator and front grille last summer on hwy 5 so built this bullbar and added fogs. Not trying to go full baja, it's purely for function!

Gotta use protection

Attachments

• buggy_oct23_bar.jpg
    buggy_oct23_bar.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 7
  • buggy_panzer.jpg
    buggy_panzer.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 7

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you're worried about clearance, look into doing the suspension lift by putting vr6 auto springs up front and vr6 tow springs in the rear. Raises about 2 inches. I did that on my old wagon and it drove really smoothly.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have heard good things about the vr6 springs. Am basically torn between investing in the suspension or getting a multiprocess mig machine

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bug rolled over an 8” rock one morning on the driver side. Didn’t phase the plate. Felt like both DS wheels came off the ground as I went over it.

I say go for the mig machine!!

Last edited:

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things went well, went with a moog alternative to the vr6 springs and they're supposedly a bit shorter. It might be difficult to get taller springs in there. Rear was easier than front but having multiple floor jacks and a bottle jack was super helpful for strut/knuckle alignment.

Only snag was with the wiper trim cowl - took it off and put it on top the truck canopy and totally forgot about it. After driving around for a day in the truck it had fallen off somewhere.
Quick trip to pick in pull solved that though...

After the lift can barely fit a floor jack under the front if parked on a couple of 2 by's!

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha just found the cowl piece on the side of the road, not usable anymore but can stop wondering where it went

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, why didn’t the springs give you more lift. Seems a floor Jack would fit under my stock one...barely. Course my Jack is low profile 3”

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's about 2" lift in the front now, the 4ton daytona is pretty high so barely being able to fit now is an improvement.