1986 F350 IDI brake issue (among other thing but lets start with what could kill me first)

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matthew,
I had a friend who's brakes would stop working when the pads wore a certain amount. It ended up being a bad booster. I think the rod in it was scored. This doesn't explain why it's doing it with a new booster. Sorry I can't be more help.

When you get in the truck, pump the pedal a few times, it should get hard. Hold the pedal and start the truck. The pedal should drop from the vacuum assist. Does it? Is the pedal hard like when the truck is off? Disconnecting the vacuum will give a pedal just like the truck being off. What was the result of your vacuum gauge test? You can leave the gauge in place and see if it changes between working at not working.

What's up with the dual fl1a filter assembly?

matthew mcelhaney

Reaction score
What's up with the dual fl1a filter assembly?

I have the gauge made just haven’t tried it yet. The dual filter setup was on it when I got it. It replaces the single large canister filter with the 2 filter setup you see in pic. Never had to buy one of the stock large filters but I’m guessing maybe they are harder to come by now so they made the upgrade to have more options. Will try your idea next time I drive it.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that's the only oil filter on the trick, you might want to start a thread on that filter choice. Most of us run a 2 quart filter for a 7.3 PSD. Off the shelf at any parts store.

I don't know how much oil our pumps flow but I think it is a lot. The FL1A doesn't flow a lot of oil. I'd be concerned it was bypassing unfiltered oil. @icanfixall says 18 gpm. I believe him.

matthew mcelhaney

Reaction score
If that's the only oil filter on the trick, you might want to start a thread on that filter choice. Most of us run a 2 quart filter for a 7.3 PSD. Off the shelf at any parts store.

I don't know how much oil our pumps flow but I think it is a lot. The FL1A doesn't flow a lot of oil. I'd be concerned it was bypassing unfiltered oil. @icanfixall says 18 gpm. I believe him.

I will have to check into that. I never really gave it much thought cause it’s piped to the filters parallel not in series and the over all filter surface area should be greater and the flow rate should be the same or higher. But I have been wrong before. Ha

motorhed

Reaction score
Hi,just ran into a very similar problem on a truck I bought 2 weeks ago.went through the same fix,replace weak parts,setup brakes and pads and I found my trouble.When i replaced the brake switch, turns out the brake booster rod was up side down as mine had a slight curve to it. somehow,sometime someone had it out and flipped it.Looked like it was like that a long time.anyway my brakes work great now.I subscribed so I could pass this along, took me forever to figure my problems out.
I will fill out profile later but I bought a 1990 f250 7.3 idi manual 5 speed with the vacuum assist.
maybe this will help, good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7