Welded my DMF

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I couldnt stand the clattering of my DMF anymore so I welded the two pieces together today, and it worked great. I didnt have time to completely finish but there is probably 10-12 beads that are about an inch long around the flywheel. I will admit the gear noise is kinda loud, but nothing I didnt expect. I am going to add some atf and see if that queits it down any. We put a SMF conversion in a 6.7 cummins and its about the same noise level.

I also did the clutch about six months ago and I got a disk that had springs in it so I am good there.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Now to find out how well balanced your eyeballed welds are. If they aren't pretty darn close, they will likely shake themselves apart

pdfhick69

Patrick.free
Reaction score
it really would be better, if you had access to a positioner a good welder would be able to do an almost perfeclty balanced job, probably close enough to not notice it at all

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
this may be a very dumb question, but what's a positioner?

It's a rotator you hook the piece on and it moves the piece under the welder at a set speed to keep the weld layout consistant. as he said, a good welder could lay out a near perfect balance with one of these rigs

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a cast iron flywheel it wont matter it is going to crack anyway. Unless I am missing something about the dual mass.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the dual mass is pressed, It welded perfect and didnt act like cast. Still holding just fine... Just to test it out, I put it in 1st and let the clutch out until the engine died and nothing cracked.