Venting fuel tank ?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well I'm sorry if you feel I'm being ******* you. I wasn't trying to disrespect you, just trying to find out if you knew something I didn't. Sorry if it comes off as cocky, but one thing you will learn as you get older is to avoid blanket statements. The more I learn, the more I realize what I don't know. I was hoping you would actually have a technical explaination. I've been aware of people having reports of slow fill-ups for some time, but have yet to find a rhyme or reason why it occurs. I have 3 IDI's now, and none of them have this issue, so I feel the design is sound, it's just a question of what has happened to the trucks that exhibit the problem. And yes Nick, it's true I don't run the trucks as much as many others, but my diesel fuel bill is around $500 a month, and the Moosetang drinks it like it's going out of style, so I have one foot in the garage queen boat, and the other in the "real world" if you will, so my days of accumulating only 2000 miles of IDI usage a year are over. I'm doing that 110 miles a day at a time now. I should be getting close to 30,000 miles of IDI time this year.

Its all cool man. I wasnt trying to come back cocky either. I was actually trying to go for the comic, careless minded response. But thats hard to do over the net.
Anywho. Only one of the trucks did we own since new, and that was my grandpas '83. It had problems fueling since my parents enharited it after he passed away in '84. It was only after the box rusted out and we installed a box from a 96 that the problem went away. The only differences we could see was the bigger neck (the '83's had a gasoline fill neck) for the diesel, and it had a elongated vent hole. I now own 2 83's of my own now with the original tanks and boxes, except one had the front tanks neck modified by the PO. He did exactly what I said to it and it fuels faster than any of the new ones.
Other than that, we have to park the trucks on a 30* slope (well probably more like 10, lol) away from the fueling side to get them to take fuel.

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I never had much problem with The Enterprise filling any of the stock tanks, except when filling with the larger nozzles meant for big semi trucks... I don't know if someone modded the tanks before I got my hands on her but I just didn't have a problem... I know that I had to place the nozzle half in and half out but she woudl take fuel as fast as I could shove it down her throat...

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I thought the whole point was that when he took the cap off it sounded like it had preasure or vacuum on the tank like it wasn't venting. He never said anything about it not fueling up fast enough. But on a side note both my trucks fill up as fast as the nozzle can put it in

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for the replies. I do have the problem with filling it to, but am use to that. I use a piece of a long funnel to put in the filler neck to get a good seal with the pump and can fill it pretty quick with that set up. I was told on another site that there is a vent tube on top of the tank that is clipped to a crossmember that may be plugged. I'll check that out in the AM and let you know what I find. I don't know if drilling a hole in the cap would be wise. The emmisions guru's check the caps out now and if it's got a hole in it they'ed probably flunk me because of it.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Ohio they vacuum and pressure test the caps. But drilling the hole will solve the venting issue, and there's no reason you can't have a second, unmolested cap for your emissions testing.

The whole evaporative emissions system is meant for gasoline that evaporates readily. The fuel cap on my International doesn't even "seal" it just screws on with loose threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance