van or truck engine?

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need an engine for my truck and I found a van engine and was wondering if there was a difference. My truck is a 91 f250 with a 7.3 and the van is an 89 with a 7.3

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Exhost manifolds, or at least the drivers side, is different. The fuel filter head is also different and bolts to a different location, but takes the same filter. Don't know about any other differences.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The only difference that I know of is the oil cooler. I believe you can use your oil cooler as they interchange. The block, heads and mounting locations of everything should interchange even if different between the truck and van.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
just put your external parts on it. (fuel filter mount, exhaust manifolds, oil cooler{good time to rebuilt it}, and your accesories.

bigpanda16

Reaction score
The injector lines are different on the pass side. The timing ferret/spacer is up front on trucks and out back on the vans

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Only thing you need to swap is the drivers side exhaust manifold to drop it in a pickup truck.

Differences are,

Drivers side mounted fuel filter head
Drivers side exhaust manifold
Oil cooler (the oil filter on the vans is angled, while the trucks point straight down).
and Dipstick is much longer on the van engine.
and the factory timing adapter thing on the injector, in the trucks it's on cyl #1, in vans, it's on cyl #4.

Also, the air cleaner bowl, vans never got the "soup bowl" in the lid, they all had the restrictor plate on the bottom part, around the intake hole (like on any old 6.9).

Heres a shot of the van engine to give you an idea.

You must be registered for see images attach

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey If you get that Van engine, I need van dipstick assembly for my MH engine swap. If you don't use it I would buy it from you PM me if your interested in selling it. One of my engines came out of a van but no dipstick.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not all the above is true or false. To simplify it this is whats differant on the vans. Besides the drivers side injecter lines being differant only the number 4 is differant because of the timing adapter but its fine. You can run that way on the truck application. The van has the fuel filter in a differant location so it and the feed line from it to the injection pump wont work on the trucks. Actually it will run fine if you pipe in the lift pump feed line from the truck location to the filter. Now only the drivers side exhaust manifold is differant on the vans to the truck application. So the van needs to be changed to fit the trucks. Oil cooler front and rear headers are differant so you will need to change both of those to fit the truck from a van. Or just remove the truck one and install it completely on the van engine.. The dip stick wil be differant on the vans so you will need the tube and stick from the truck engine to make it work. There may be some slight differances on the front of the acessary mounting brackets but I don't have any experiance up there so to be safe just use the front of the truck brackets. Nothing more needs to be changed to fit a van engine in a truck... All idi heads and blocks are drilled the same too.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well now I'm curious....my 92 model truck has an emissions sticker on the valve cover that says it fits 93 emissions standards. It also has a serpentine belt setup, but the build date suggest the truck was an early year truck. Now, this is what has me curious. My oil filter is not straight up and down, it is angled towards the oil pan almost to the point the psd filter is touching the oil pan. After Johns post, I'm wondering if my truck has a van oil cooler.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... No way can a van oil cooler fit in our truck engine bays. First off the cooler is mounted higher up on the side of the block. The front header has only three bolts holding it to the block too. The drivers side exhaust on the vans has the end where the cross over pipe connecting to it will be in a differant location compared to the truck only exhaust manifolds. BTW the van drivers side manifold has a much better flow thru it too. The vans cooler setup can't fit our trucks because the filters will hit the frame cross member. The truck rear header has a slight bend that allows the filter to fit and points towards the engine pan just a bit... The actual oil cooler header will fit both the vans and the trucks. I recall something way back where a member felt they were differant length but that was not found to be true.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. My filter has about a 10 degree tilt on it toward the front and right. I have found an awful lot on my truck that was "fixed" by the previous owners. I am always looking to make sure of what I have because there has been a lot of things I have found On my truck that would not impress you.....some people...(shakes head in disgust)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. My filter has about a 10 degree tilt on it toward the front and right. I have found an awful lot on my truck that was "fixed" by the previous owners. I am always looking to make sure of what I have because there has been a lot of things I have found On my truck that would not impress you.....some people...(shakes head in disgust)

Not a problem. Here we try to explain the whys to a post.. I feel an answer with reasons makes more sence. If I knew how to post pics that would help everyone actually see the reasons. I do have many viedos posted here about the injection system. I show how to remove the pump and the lines all as one piece. Now thats without removing the injection pump grear cover that the pump bolts to.. Thats the wrong way of removing a pump. Just read up on that idea. I hide nothing and the tricks I have learned along the way are shared with anyone that asks for help. Remember many others that were here and there before me shared with me so I'm passing along what I know to work plus what I worked out on my own... Nothing worse than finding out you make a mistaske because you didn't know what you were doing.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Van uses a gm style power steering pump too. And if u keep the van dipstick u will love not needing a ladder to check ur oil. (assuming that's an issue)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HEY is there a serpentine bracket for the PS pump on that van engine???? :confused:

:yell:IF SO DO YOU WANT TO GET RID OF IT? I AM LOOKING FOR ONE, 4 YEARS NOW!!!!

So long as it's for a Saginaw pump that is...I'd be able to tell by pictures....:sly

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been a while, but the 7.3 in my F250 came out of a E-series van (ambulance). The only other thing I can remember that wasn't listed were the motor mounts. IIRC, they are different between the E and F series.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online