Valve cover gaskets

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Do you guys use rtv for them? I think I will use a bit just to help keep it in place. I was going to use blue locktite on the bolts, but now am thinking I shouldn't. Also, how much oil should I expect to leak all over? I've never popped one off before.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
won't leak much. i've run mine with the valve cover off and it doesnt make much of a mess at idle either.

I use right stuff to seal mine up. No leaks!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
If you're using cork...yes some silicone would be good....Not much oil will come out at all. Ya gotta think, the only thing supplying oil up underneath the VC's is the pushrods then once it lubricates the rockers it drains back down through the heads.....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you dress teh gaskets with a little hylomar it will seal better and will be easier to clean up next time you have it apart

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I think all the felpro gaskets are $20 for the set and they are rubber. Didnt need much to hold them in place they just sat there till u get the bolts started.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I say steer clear of cork gaskets. I hate them. I've never personally seen one not leak. That's what I have in the van now and they leak like a sieve. Whenever I get around to trying to get my valve covers off again, I'm going to go back with rubber and have them covered in RTV and locktite all the bolts. I did that on the tranny, and so far not even a hint of a leak.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The bolts were so loose it was rediculous. The gaskets are rubber felpro (clearanced at rockauto, fyi). Only got the driver side done. I should have started on the passenger side first though. The fuel filter housing blocked one frickin hold down bolt. I was really unmotivated at 9 pm (no it didn't take me 3 hours to do the first side) so I'll get to it another time. The driver side was by far the leaking worse anyway. Though they need replacing (it crumbled in my hand) it was more out of hobby/enjoyment than necessity.