vacum lines

dartman

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
just picked up 73 f 600 391 4 bl have 2 vacum lines dont know where they go. 1 comes out bottom distributor the other one leaves dist next o vacum advance truck runs but oil pressure is high during accelaration

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This the wrong sub forum, but I'll give it a try anyway. First, I'll start by saying that I'm not real familiar with a 391 and I don't believe that I've even seen one in person. Those don't appear to be vacuum lines. They look to be pressure lines judging by the threaded fittings. They very well could have been used as vacuum lines. I don't see anything that really appears to be a vacuum advance either. Could the advance be at the bottom part of the distributor? They would have to attach somewhere that has a source of vacuum. Does the intake have any ports that the threaded parts of the lines could screw in to? If not, you may have to get a threaded nipple to screw into the distributor. It looks to be a 1/8" NPT. Then you just need to plug into a vacuum source.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Moved this to the proper area....

Could those be oil lines for an air compressor? The medium duty trucks could have a compressor for the brakes, or if it's an old U-Haul, could be for the suspension. I agree with bronco, they don't look like vacuum lines..... Have you had them disconnected while the engine has been running? That would tell what they are fairly quickly.

dartman

Reaction score
i tried to post to gas forum wouldnt go so was giving idi forum a shot the vacum advance is connected to carb.looked for connection on line in pic on intake could find nothing .owned alot dist. point cars trucks never seen this line before. i assume for ford FT line medium duty engines thanks for your input

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those do not connect to the dizzy, they are for an accessory that’s likely not there anymore, air comp, pto, pump... the possibilities are endless on an old med duty.

dartman

Reaction score
Truck not a u haul. it is single ram steel dump 5 speed 2 speed rear drove it 120 miles to my farm ran fine till 5th gear then oil pressure started climbing high. dont know how to move post dont have computer using phone for everything

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Snicklas already moved it. Don't worry about the wrong subforum. We're pretty forgiving around here.:) I tend to lean towards air compressor myself. Does it have air brakes?

dartman

Reaction score
yes brakes are good it runs great just oil pressure ******* when i hit 5th gear thought maybe that line had something to do with it have has big edelbrock 4 barrell pcv and dist advance are tight 3rd port on carb capped edelbrock site said for automatic 1st time posting thanks for the input

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Your oil pressure could be an electrical issue. I'd recommend installing an aftermarket gauge. If everything else seems to be good, then it sounds like a good buy.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They're good at doing that for sure! I can see three reasons why it does 1 it's a F600, 2 it was made in 1973, 3 it has a 4bbl carb.