Used permatex for the rear main plate gasket

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Somone needs to pipe in like RIGHT NOW if this is a no no. I know the paper gasket didnt work well the last time so thought I'd try this.
Let me know. ASAP
Thanks!

ALE

Reaction score
I prefer permatex (The Right Stuff) works great for stubborn leaks or when I dont have a gasket. Its a gasket eliminator product you just have to make sure its clean and TOTALLY FREE OF OIL. Use brake clean to remove the oil. I use it a lot and havent had any leaks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The paper gasket needs to be glued down with high tack or 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive on one side and some aviation permatex on the other, if done on oil free surface it will not fail. Silicone on a steel plate that flexes for any reason will shear then leak

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
actually the factory grey stuff I have only been able to get from ford or IH,
but the stuff works, pricey at 14.00 a tube, but thats what holds the oil pans, and a whole lot of other \gasketless stuff.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the grey stuff from IH. That has got to be the best stuff I have ever used. permatex "The Right Stuff" is also very good but I think the IH product is better.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Hey ALE! I'll be starting on my conversion next weekend. I think I've got it all worked out, mostly!

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The paper gasket needs to be glued down with high tack or 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive on one side and some aviation permatex on the other, if done on oil free surface it will not fail. Silicone on a steel plate that flexes for any reason will shear then leak

Personally I use a coat of Permatex aviation form a Gasket on both mating surfaces, and on both sides of the paper gasket. I let them tack up a bit then mate them carefully. I do this for any paper gasket that my engine has when ever I do repairs or a rebuild. Done right and with clean I mean near medical clean I have had ZERO leaks. The only down side is it's a ****** to take apart if need be.

Valve covers, and pans have no gaskets, I use a reasonable bead of Permatex RTV either grey, the non O2 sensor compatible blue, or some nasty Orange stuff that I used to get from "Cough" Cheby dealership.

The most important aspect is cleanliness before anything else. Then you're almost assured of a leak free bond.

This is just my slightly more than 2cents worth cookoo

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with riot, also the best approach is to wipe surfaces with laquer thinner first, nice and clean and grease free .

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep cleaned all the old gasket off and used some laquer thinner I had to clean the surfaces. If it doesnt work Im going to be pissed.
The reason I used permatex on the whole thing is because it seemed like the permatex didnt seal up to the paper gasket.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you really want a serious gasket sealer, try some Hylomar. that's the factory sealer for Rolls Royce aircraft engines. It does an amazing sealing job and it cleans off with a rag next time you have to take it apart.
Price is generally pretty painful, but worth it.
you won't find it at too many parts stores, but if you have an airport nearby with a parts store, they will have it, and it's available online.

---------Robert

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using Hylomar for awhile. Great if your taking things back apart like on a racecar. My napa said they can't get it any more and they're not going to offer it anymore, so I'm hanging on to my last tube and a 1/2.

What seems to be working the best in my garage is the grey sealent for motorcycle engine cases made by Permatex. It holds up to oil and heat with no problem. Also Chrystler's grey sealent is good too.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've been using Hylomar for awhile. Great if your taking things back apart like on a racecar. My napa said they can't get it any more and they're not going to offer it anymore, so I'm hanging on to my last tube and a 1/2.

What seems to be working the best in my garage is the grey sealent for motorcycle engine cases made by Permatex. It holds up to oil and heat with no problem. Also Chrystler's grey sealent is good too.

Permatex used to have a license to manufacture the stuf in the US, but they lost it a few months back, so at the moment, there aren't many car parts stores carrying it on the shelf ( I snagged the last handful of tubes from the local place cheap when permatex discontinued it ;Sweet , but you can order it online from a number of places if you look here

---------Robert