used motor oil

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Which filter element do you use for 1 micron filtering?

i used the water filter housing for the 1 mic filter. i am not sure the part number but the filters were beside the housings in the hardware store. you had several choices that ranged from like 25mic to 10mic to 5 then 1mic. they had everything on the shelf at my local tractor supply. i will see if i can get a pic of my set up then.

50/50 in the winter might be a little strong depending on how cold it is, i started having a little trouble in the thirties with that strong a mix not bad though. 75/25 should not be a problem in the summer though.

i really should get a pyro since oil can burn hotter.......your results may vary depending on your truck. this is all at anyones own risk to. i have never had a problem but i dont want anyone thinking bad of me if you do. i am no expert just offering my advice on what works for me.

subway

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am interested in using used motor oil for a fuel in my 7.3L IDI. I have 2100 gallons of Mobil Guard 550 onboard right now and I am assuming that the other 11 boats have about the same.

Any further comments on doing this. Figured I could filter it like the WVO and thin it down with reg. deisel and some additives.

I was wondering if water filtering it would remove more of the metals.

One problem is getting it off the boat and home...something to think about.

Thanks,
Eero

not sure what mobil guard 550 is, if it is anything like motor oil you should be able to run like you mentioned.

jimmys f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just do it ,,,,am proof here in nebraska that they run when its cold,,,was 26 below zero and she fired right up,,, block heater plugged in of course,,,i am gonna try jreds setup,,,my filter socks from vegpower are good but i think that it would be easier doing a setup like his and i wouldnt have to be doing like 4 gallons at a time and waiting,,,,as far as using atf i use anything that'll burn,,,,

have never seen em dippin tanks round here,,,heard they do it at farm sales and such but never seen it done personally,,,dont think they would get much outa mine cuz it isnt red,,,really dark colored from the used oil and it covers up any red,,,,but i think with diesel costin me like 2.99 a gallon red and if i cut it half and half with other,additives (umo, cetane booster and such ) so its not to bad,,,,and like i said earlier,,,,my tractor likes it too,,,,oh and tractor man it is a 406 and is a darn good runnin engine

evictorwalli

Reaction score
MobilGuard 550 is the engine oil we use on the rather large (20 Cylinder) EMD 4500hp diesel engines onboard. I am going to do a little more research. We do have monhtly oil samples taken and checked, perhaps I can get some info from that.

Another forum warns against using used oil it so far. However my father inlaw uses it without filtering into his Dodge Cummins and his logging equipment for many years. I'll have to pick his brain a bit too. Biggest hassle is getting the oil from the tug to my home (500 miles) and from my tug to barrels in the back of my truck. Four or five drums would last me for the duration of my off time (2 months).

What I ment by water filtering is to imitate the process in making BD by water washing, there by removing particles especially metals that have been suspended in the oil.

We have no dye in our fuel here.

subway

Reaction score
yea i am sure you could get away with starting it in colder weather plugged in but i dont and i havent been adding and cetane booster ar anything like that either. just a stright dump.......i am sure cold weather performance could be helped allot with some work like you mentioned Jimmy.

filter socks are good but i wanted something i could poar my oil into and walk away without having to worry about heating it. i just set my watch timer so i dont forget again:D

i am some what familear with water filtering in bio but have never done it and never thought to do it with WMO. interesting, i have heard that the metal particles i the oil can wear out the injectors faster. even though i am filtering down to 1 mic there can still be a bunch of 1/2 mic particles wearing my parts. i figure my injector and pump were worn and if it is good enough to run through the tight tolerances in my engine it should be fine. even if they do wear faster the money i saved in fuel say $100 a month would far outweigh the cost of a rebuilt pump every few years. i have been running oil through my truck the past 30k or so and have noticed no degridation in performance.

Last edited:

subway

Reaction score
here is a pic of the simple set up i use, i was thinking i could direct the oil into two containers but really found it unnecessary. once i add some fitting to the top to put in some regulated air pressure it can filter allot quickly.

Attachments

• CIMG2008.JPG
    CIMG2008.JPG
    330 KB · Views: 146

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JRED that looks like a water tank used for home well systems... how do you get the oil into it??? Looks like a nice simple system though... I sure do miss workin at the shop... did lots of oil changes on the managers specials...

subway

Reaction score
JRED that looks like a water tank used for home well systems... how do you get the oil into it??? Looks like a nice simple system though... I sure do miss workin at the shop... did lots of oil changes on the managers specials...

thats exactly what is it, i had to wreastle with it a bit to get the rubber bladder out and clean it up but it was free from the side of the road. i just cut a hole in the top with a hole saw to dump it in. just by pure luck i cut the hole the right size to screw in some large plastic fittings so i can close it up and add some regulated shop air to speed up the filtering.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm getting started on mine this weekend. I got 2 filter heads today along with a 10 micron Donaldson filter and a 2 micron CAT fuel filter.....I'm getting a new air tank tommorow and starting to set it up. I'll post some pics when it's done..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting started on mine this weekend. I got 2 filter heads today along with a 10 micron Donaldson filter and a 2 micron CAT fuel filter.....I'm getting a new air tank tommorow and starting to set it up. I'll post some pics when it's done..
care to post some part numbers?:D
Like filter head p/n and filter p/n?;Sweet

sassyrel

Reaction score
Just remember the higher the mix, the more it'll smoke. (Not the good kind either)
depends--on the condition of your engine--mine NEVER smoked--until i stood on it,and then only momentarily--till the boost came on!!!!!!