used motor oil

jimmys f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
am ponderin,,,been runnin bout 25 to 50% used motor oil and diesel in my ole hoss,,,it is a 91 extendd cab f250 stratpiped flatbedded brand new cd player, bale hauler,,,but nwayz been runnin this mixture for some time now,,only use oil i know is good and not contaminated,,,jus recently aquired some sock filters that filter to 1 micron they say,,,was usin ole blue jeans tied up,,,but anyway i have used up to 75% umo,,so what am gettin at is what if i went like say 90% omo and went with the other 10% kerosene,,,as a thinner,,,,havent tried it yet but wanna,,,also i do add a lil bit of anti gel and some cetane booster ,,,,and a lil bit of veggie to make it smell good when idlin,,,oh and i use a lil acetone,,,it started easy all winter on 50% blend from one tank as it is the only one that works,,,but I do plug it in,,,even started at 26 below zero here in nebraska a few weeks ago,,,but nwayz wanted some feedback on this mix i wanna do,,,it doesnt smoke when i use this mix either,,,,my ole 856 international tractor likes it too,,,but anyway wanted to ask about the umo and kero:confused:

sassyrel

Reaction score
i dont know what a blue jean filters to-----but your injection pump will only stand 5 microns----Soooooooooooooooooooooooo--id make sure you filter it thru something that is at least that----

Whit

Reaction score
some info I found out there

Converting used motor oil to a useable fuel source. Currently, the market for used motor oil has stymied many recycling and reclamation efforts. The market for used motor oil has largely been geared to limited processing steps which convert the used motor oil into a low quality fuel such as bunker oil (#6 fuel oil) . Alternatively, a limited amount of used motor oil is reclaimed and converted into a recycled motor oil product.

Used motor oil retains a high energy potential. However, hazards and cost associated with collecting, storing, transporting, and general handling of used motor oil has limited the efforts to collect used motor oil for disposal or recycling. Although the prior art provides limited processing of used motor oil for other petroleum products, there remains a need for improvement within the art of converting used motor oil to a high quality energy source.

Waste oil from internal combustion engines can be cracked under low temperature, low severity conditions to yield a number two grade diesel fuel.

The starting hydrocarbon material, used motor oil, is characterized by a mixture of parafins, napthenes, aromatics, and olefins. above thirty percent distilled, cracking becomes vigorous between 60 and 650°F. The condensation temperature of the distilled material never exceeds the maximum boiling point temperature for #2 two diesel fuel. Therefore, in terms of boiling points, the cracked material meets the specifications for #2 diesel fuel.

Metal particles are typically in the micron and submicron range and represent particles sufficiently small such that they pass through standard oil filters.

jimmys f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
am usin sock filters that are said to be 1 micron,,,got em from veggie.com,,,i heat the oil first to just about boilin then it goes through pretty fast,,,,its still pretty cold here in northern nebraska so oil goes pretty slow cold,,,but am runnin bout 50%right now and she'll fire right up ,,,but i always and repeat always plug it in for at least an hour,,,didn't plug it in the other mornin,,,it was about 20 degrees and pushed the button for one cycle pushed the footfeeder down bout halfway and she fired right up,,,but it doesnt smoke any more than straight diesel; ,,thanks for advice on your concerns

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
interesting, i just filter mine with a house water filter good to one micron also. then i just dump it in with my regular diesel. i havent run a stronger mix than 50/50 really so far though because i dont get enough of it. mine smokes a little more but seems to actaully have a little more pep to it. i have heard i might be raising my injection pop off pressure because the fuel is thicker.

jimmys f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey JRED how do you filter it with a house water filter???? whats your set up???? ,,,with the veggie filters i just hang em up and pour the oil in em ,,,let gravity do it,,,made me some last night and used half red diesel and half used oil ,,,made me seven dark gallons so i could tow a car today,,,it fired right up this mornin on that,,,it was 17 degrees,,,,but it was plugged in,,,so its not to bad here yet,,,but let me know that house water filter set up,,,,

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i dump my oil into an old well expansion tank that the rubber bladder failed on. i cut a hole in the top of the tank and it has pipe fittings off the bottom to feed my filters. my first filter is a 10 mic goldenrod filter
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_910810_910810
then my second filter is a 1 mic water filter like mentioned
http://www.acehardware.com/product/...filter&parentPage=search&searchId=23741022213

i then have a 1/4 turn valve before and after the filters to stop the flow when not in use. right now i just let gravity do its thing but i bought some parts to hook my compresor up (with a regulator:D ) to speed up filtering. even just a couple lbs of air signifcantly speeds things up.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run used motor oil, atf, hydroalic oil, and veg oil. I was filtering to 5 micron, but the last batch was atf that had a lot of shinny stuff in it so I need to get a 1 micron filter. I did notice that above 80-90% motor oil the engine ran different and started kinda funny. Since its cold now I havent mixxed anything.

sassyrel

Reaction score
iron--60 microns is the dia of a human hair---soooooo, 5 microns is quite small---and would be small enough to take out the "slivers" of silver------i use a setup that starts with a car filter,i/e 20 micron--then on to a 10 micron, and 5 micron finish-----and your ip will stand 5 microns--and the filter on your truck is 5 microns---------

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
i dump my oil into an old well expansion tank that the rubber bladder failed on. i cut a hole in the top of the tank and it has pipe fittings off the bottom to feed my filters. my first filter is a 10 mic goldenrod filter
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_910810_910810
then my second filter is a 1 mic water filter like mentioned
http://www.acehardware.com/product/...filter&parentPage=search&searchId=23741022213

i then have a 1/4 turn valve before and after the filters to stop the flow when not in use. right now i just let gravity do its thing but i bought some parts to hook my compresor up (with a regulator:D ) to speed up filtering. even just a couple lbs of air signifcantly speeds things up.

Which filter element do you use for 1 micron filtering?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Ok, I'm gearing up to run waste oil.....The barrel price is at $104 and it ain't going back down now that the greedy ******** breached the $100 mark.:backoff I'm going to get my F-inlaw to get me some used CAT filter heads and I'll pump my WMO through some large 5 micron fuel filters so it will be quick and clean.....We have thousands of liters of this stuff at work every day so I smell a freebie....LOL....I was figuring 50/50 in the winter and 75/25 in the summer with some conditioner....Sound ok for those who already use it?

evictorwalli

Reaction score
Newguy Bump.

I am interested in using used motor oil for a fuel in my 7.3L IDI. I have 2100 gallons of Mobil Guard 550 onboard right now and I am assuming that the other 11 boats have about the same.

Any further comments on doing this. Figured I could filter it like the WVO and thin it down with reg. deisel and some additives.

I was wondering if water filtering it would remove more of the metals.

Thanks,
Eero

evictorwalli

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am interested in using used motor oil for a fuel in my 7.3L IDI. I have 2100 gallons of Mobil Guard 550 onboard right now and I am assuming that the other 11 boats have about the same.

Any further comments on doing this. Figured I could filter it like the WVO and thin it down with reg. deisel and some additives.

I was wondering if water filtering it would remove more of the metals.

One problem is getting it off the boat and home...something to think about.

Thanks,
Eero

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726