Used Banks Kit

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to turbocharge my n/a 7.3L for a while now. I found a project truck online that the owner is now trying to part out. It has a second gen Banks Sidewinder kit on it. The kit was part of the project so it’s not even fully installed yet but it appears to be complete. He is asking $400 for the kit. I won’t be able to see it function or anything so I am somewhat leery of it. He says it has very minimal shaft play but you never know. What about the internal seals? Do they typically go bad or is this something I can replace before I install it on my truck? And how long could I expect it to take to completely remove the kit from the truck? Thanks

Last edited:

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a really good price for a complete kit, if it's actually all there. The missing pieces even for a factory turbo setup can add up fast, ask how I know.

Shaft play should be only a couple of thousandth axially. There will be a bunch of radial play with no oil pressure to the bearing, but as long as the blades don't hit the housing it should be usable. Or you could just get a rebuild kit and do it yourself.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if it spins freely, install and use it. Chances are, it's fine. If not, *then* you can rebuild it.

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, sounds like a plan. How long should I allow to take it off the truck? I've read the installation instructions and I would think to just reverse them - start with the turbo and then attack the up/down/crossover pipes. Does that sound correct?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on who is removing it, I can get them off in a few hours, some people may like to take their time and spread it out over a day or two. I’d set aside more than enough time so you don’t get yourself in a pickle.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bring an impact wrench and extensions and the exhaust parts will come off faster than you can get the rust/dirt out of your eyes from dropping them!

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks for the input. Looks like it may take a little longer than I thought. I’m traveling about an hour and I’ll have to do it in someone’s yard potentially. I was hoping to do it in about 3 or 4 hours but for the first time that doesn’t sound super realistic.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Not much help with a Banks removal but...

When I installed a factory turbo on my '93 it took 4 of us the better part of a 10 hour day.

Bagels, coffee and juice in the morning, pizza for lunch, beers for afterwards. Of course my turbo install required installing 6 gauges and two pods, new exhaust housing and upgraded downpipe, firewall massage, new oil dipstick and tube, road draft tube, DPS injectors and return kit. (I sold my (now ex) wife on that fact that the turbo could not be installed without those additional items, so it all had to get done at the same time! :Thumbs Up

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, Other than hooking up the exhaust, 3 hrs to go from NA to turbo. But ive done a few.

Justin B

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has had an issue, but the stainless collet hardware that Banks uses created some issues when I recently put my truck back together. Two of the stainless nuts cross threaded on the studs, one on the turbo mounting flange and another on the bracket that secures the downpipe to the manifold. The EGT probe also fought me coming out and I ended up drilling and tapping that as well. I called Banks to purchase replacement hardware and got a quote of $70~ for a couple studs and replacent nuts. Banks still supports their stuff but if you try and stick with parts sourced from them your going to open your wallet and dig deep.

I ended up finding what I needed at Home Depot for about $10; however, they didn't have it in stock and I ordered it online. There's a parts sheet in the instruction manual so you can ensure you're getting the original thread sizes, those studs had two different thread sizes on each end. While bolts might work, the risk of stripping the threads out of the cast components was too daring for me so I waited a week to get the right hardware.

All in all, it was easy to remove and replace, just expect that you may have to buy a tap and some hardware depending on the condition of the current fasenters.

For tools, I found a swivel and a crowfoot wrench set that attaches to an extension to be invaluable. Along with a flexible stick magnet if you accidently drop anything between the engine and firewall you should be able to get the project done relatively quickly. I used high-temp anti-sieze to reinstall so I hopefully don't have hardware issues if I ever need to remove it again.

Edit: Banks gasket kits are available on the cheap from Amazon or similar vendors. It had a new oil tube to turbo gasket, oil tube to valley pan gasket, and intake gasket included with a couple other things.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That banks hardware is a joke and totally unnecessary. I use stainless only to bolt the chra into the turbine housing. grade 8 steel everywhere else. It doesnt gall like stainless.