US Gear Dual Range / Doug Nash Info

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if GV would have a Doug Nash switch.... but I could very well be wrong.

As best I can tell it's a Pollak 21-370. http://www.ase-supply.com/Pollak_Ball_Switch_p/po-21-370-p.htm

I haven't actually gotten one of these to verify though. Was going to get one just to check since it's cheap but then I discovered that they wanted $17+ for shipping on a 1/2 oz switch..... :puke:

bob barnes

Reaction score
I have a 1983 F350 with a 4sp trans. that had a US Gear unit that I got after a trade to US Gear for my Nash Unit. Somehow I lost a drain plug on the US Gear unit or someone removed it at the Race track. Burned up the unit-sent it back to US Gear for replacement/repair. I waited too long to get my replacement and they went out of business. I have all the items installed to have another unit but can not find one and thus had to put a new driveshaft in my truck.

Does anyone have one available for sale with the adapter for the 4sp trans? I have the Input gears, yoke, controller, push switch still on the column just need another overdrive for gear splitting for this 6.9L Diesel.

Thanks for your input

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1983 F350 with a 4sp trans. that had a US Gear unit that I got after a trade to US Gear for my Nash Unit. Somehow I lost a drain plug on the US Gear unit or someone removed it at the Race track. Burned up the unit-sent it back to US Gear for replacement/repair. I waited too long to get my replacement and they went out of business. I have all the items installed to have another unit but can not find one and thus had to put a new driveshaft in my truck.

Does anyone have one available for sale with the adapter for the 4sp trans? I have the Input gears, yoke, controller, push switch still on the column just need another overdrive for gear splitting for this 6.9L Diesel.

Thanks for your input
i see them pop up in CL now and then. that would be your best bet.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned two early DNE's and wrote service at a GM dealership for sev yrs..the DNE was used in the corvette 4+3 units as well.I would reccomend staying away from the earlier units.We had several early failures in the Vette setups.I currently run a AA Ranger splitter(o/d) in my Kaiser that is equipped with 5:88's.It provides a nice drop in rpm but can have my gear ratio back with a pull of the lever for the trail rides.The prev owner scooted the motor forward 7 1/4" to fit the Ranger in and made the truck so nose heavy it would get stuck in yard.Now switching to kingpin 60 up ft with higher gears(4:56) and have removed the Ranger.If anyone needs a good one..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned two early DNE's and wrote service at a GM dealership for sev yrs..the DNE was used in the corvette 4+3 units as well.I would reccomend staying away from the earlier units.We had several early failures in the Vette setups.I currently run a AA Ranger splitter(o/d) in my Kaiser that is equipped with 5:88's.It provides a nice drop in rpm but can have my gear ratio back with a pull of the lever for the trail rides.The prev owner scooted the motor forward 7 1/4" to fit the Ranger in and made the truck so nose heavy it would get stuck in yard.Now switching to kingpin 60 up ft with higher gears(4:56) and have removed the Ranger.If anyone needs a good one..
what kind of $$$ are we talking about here?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I wrong, but the Ranger III is mechanically shifted, right? That is, you have another gear shift lever to mess with.

Big thing I like about the DNE/US Gear is the electric shift - it works just like a 2 speed rear so you can just push a button and go.

WellUsed, are you sure it's the same box? I know I've seen mention of DNE vette boxes, but it looks like a different setup - I wouldn't think they'd use such a heavy duty big clunky gear box in a vette.

Bob, sent you a PM.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned two early DNE's and wrote service at a GM dealership for sev yrs..the DNE was used in the corvette 4+3 units as well.I would reccomend staying away from the earlier units.We had several early failures in the Vette setups.
When I first got my Doug Nash unit and was looking for spare parts sources, I contacted a guy who specialized in the Corvette units, and he told me in no uncertain terms that the Corvette units and the truck units are completely different and share no common parts.

FWIW...

Correct me if I wrong, but the Ranger III is mechanically shifted, right? That is, you have another gear shift lever to mess with.
It's mechanically shifted, and it goes between the bellhousing and the transmission...so, you can really only use it with the T-19 on our trucks, unless you swapped in a 5 speed with a detachable bellhousing (an NV4500, for instance).

Zigg was able to rig a setup on his Ranger so that air solenoids operated the shift lever, so he could have a switch in the cab instead of an extra shift lever. Take a look here: http://members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Installation of Ranger III Overdrive unit.htm

bob barnes

Reaction score
I think I may have found a US Gear unit but I will need the Al. Adapter that fits between the T19 Trans and the US Gear OD unit. P/N 72-80031. Does anyone have the T18/19 Al. Adapter they would like to sell? Or one that I can borrow and have one machined for my use. The US Gear supplied one was Cast Al. and I had to weld up the original one that came with my unit. I wish I would have kept it!

Thanks,

Bob

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ziggster40.. I recall him from the other site. Thanks tim for that. I enjoyed reading what he posted long ago now..

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry bout the late reply.Yes,my Ranger has a lever for in and out.Short throw does the trick.No grinding or waiting.With 5:88's,sometimes I just left it in o/d as I still had gobs of gear with 36's.Only reason I removed it was I repowered with a 4bt/46rh/205 and bought a CUCV for the kingpin 60 and(lol) higher gears 4:56's.If I remenber right,71/2 inch's thick

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I interjected some bad info on the DNE's.We had a LOT of trouble with the corvette units.I did not know they were different.We had one customer that said he had been pushing that button for weeks and didnt really see a difference.We put a new unit in..boy was he happy.They were kinda neat

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Should be adding some more info to it - hopefully going to fab up a mount to stick on of these behind a 1356 t-case.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Added some bearing part numbers and consolidating:

Input shaft bearing (needle)
INA HK5020

Output bearing (ball)
6208 (non shielded - the same base part number links to shielded and sealed bearings of the same size)

Mainshaft thrust (2 req)
SKF AXK5578

Countershaft (8 req)
INA SCH 1612

Output seal

Input seal

Limit switch (mounted on the cover)
Standard motors DS169
BWD S482
AC Delco D6246D

Indicator switch (outside rear cover, 2 req)
Pollak 21-370

Shift motor
4 Seasons 35521