jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doug Nash shift control switch:
Standard Motor DS169 (rockauto, $10)

AC Delco D6246D *may* be equivalent, some info suggests it is and some doesn't

Shift motor:
4 Seasons 35521

**I haven't verified these 2 parts are actually right - they look right but can't same with 100% certainty.**

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigoilburner, what trans do you have? I've got a T18/19 overdrive unit (2wd), but other than that the best I can say is to just search and keep your eyes open.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pictures:

Starting upper left:
1) DNE2 output shaft assembly.
2) DNE2 output with shift collar. Note that there is no form of syncro.
3) US Gear assembly. Note the thrust bearings on the countershafts - DNE2 just uses thrust washers. Interestedly the US Gear manual shows no thrust bearings, so maybe there was a production change? As far as I can tell this is an early 90's box.
4) DNE2 vs US Gear output. Note the difference in the splines on the gear on the US Gear - there's additional splines to reduce the backlash. The matting splines on the collar are the same size as the output shaft splines (center section in pic 1) but alternate spline, so there's about 1/4" of between the gear and collar splines when engaged. I think it's designed this way to allow shifting. The US Gear design though adds the second row of partial splines to reduce the backlash and add strength.
5) DNE2 mainshaft, thrust bearing and shift fork.
6) Close up of (6)

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0892.JPG
    tn_IMG_0892.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 46
  • tn_IMG_0891.JPG
    tn_IMG_0891.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 46
  • tn_IMG_0890.JPG
    tn_IMG_0890.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 45
  • tn_IMG_0889.JPG
    tn_IMG_0889.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 43
  • tn_IMG_0887.JPG
    tn_IMG_0887.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 42
  • tn_IMG_0886.JPG
    tn_IMG_0886.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also tried using the US Gear output shaft with the DNE2 housing as one of the commonly reported changes is a different gear pitch. The gear appeared to mate properly and I couldn't see any difference in the gear tooth design. It did sit about 3/16" closer to the front of the case though. That is, the rear face of the output gear was slightly offset forward of the rear face of the countershaft gears. I suspect this is due to the US Gear countershaft gears being set slightly closer together to provide space for the thrust bearings. It looked like the mainshaft bearings and shifting would still work, though there'd be a slight (10%??) loss of strength due to the offset gear faces. Not sure I'd want to hybredize a gearset if I didn't have to, but it certainly looks like it's not impossible.

darkbluefoxbody2

Reaction score
Had one for years behind a gasser 5.8L H.O. C6 2wd, DNE2 It was the underdrive model not overdrive so I rarely used it. The switch inside it went out twice on me but easy to change with part stocked at NAPA. Switch used in older 2 speed eaton rears.
Turned my 3.55's into 4.56 and WOW!!!! have some pulling power, and 2mpg less
Traded truck to my best friend for a 31' 5th wheel, drives it daily. (never uses the underdrive)

Reliable good units, shifting never bothered me you get used to it, take foot off shift then hammer down!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a couple parts in today for testing -

The shift switch I ordered from Rock auto (standard motor co DS169) does work. It's a different style than stock, but it does work. This is good news as I didn't think it would and the different style switch seems more common.

BWD S482 & AC Delco D6246D appear to be alternate part numbers for the switch and both seem to be readily available.

This is the original style:
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the new one I got:
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like maybe this is a newer version? Seems like it might be more reliable without the plastic thingy to break.

Also got a shift motor - unit I got is a 4 Seasons 35521. Again, looks different but physically fits the case. This motor does seem to turn significantly faster than the original - probably about double the rpm? Doesn't *seem* like it would hurt anything especially with the DNE control setup since the motor cuts out once the nut reaches the end of it's travel.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My GV U/O has a broken indicator switch. Anyone know where I can get one?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean the little switch that screws into the rear of the case with a 2 prong connector, correct?

I had a source I think, let me see what I can figure out.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean the little switch that screws into the rear of the case with a 2 prong connector, correct?

I had a source I think, let me see what I can figure out.
Thats the one. Sure would appreciate it if you can find it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ebay seller named maximum overdirve in Aromas Ca will have that switch and so will Gear Vendors. Of the 2 mentioned I feel the Aromas location will be the cheaper but have not asked price either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online