Upgrading to electric lift pump

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
So Ive been reading the tech article on here about installing one of these and it said to trigger the pump with a 30amp relay, however, the instructions on the pump say to place a 5A fuse inline with it. If the pump draws under 5 amps, then whats the point of triggering it with a relay? Seems that it would be fine just running off a switched power source. I have a manual switch for my FSS that I have wired in so I may just run it off of that. 14Ga wire, should be fine for the FSS and the pump IF the pump actually pulls that little juice.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Does anyone know the actual needs of our platforms? How much fuel and how little pressure?

How Detrimental is it to the system to have too much fuel pressure? Obviously the pump has to provide more than what the system needs so how does it recirculate the extra fuel?

Would it be worth installing an inline fuel pressure gauge?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

ISPKI

Reaction score
Wow, the information that Mel posted with regards to timing advance caused by higher lift pump pressures is very interesting. Maybe a pressure regulating valve installed at some point before the IP would be in order.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start reading e pump threads, search bypass regulator...

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So as a bunch of you know, I have my fuel filler neck fail some time ago which allowed rain and snow melt to seep into my fuel tank and froze and clog up just about everything from tank to filter.

Well I have a freshly cleaned tank and pickup installed, new filler neck and nozzle, new fuel lines, new filter and am trying to get the ole slug fired back up. I have now found that I seem to not be getting any fuel from my lift pump. I disconnected the fuel line from pump to filter and put a jar on the end of it, cranked for several 10 second intervals and got exactly zero fuel out of it. The line is clear, the line from tank to pump does have fuel in it, just nothing coming out of it.

I unbolted the mechanical lift pump and the arm has almost zero travel on it. I dont remember how much travel these have when new, but mine moves maybe 1/8 of an inch and stops dead. I submerged the intake side in a jar of fuel and hand pumped for a good while and it never pushed any fuel out the other side.

So, I am interested in these Dura Lift electric pumps. I have ordered one along with the brass fittings and the block off plate. Totaled about 132$. I will post more once I receive them on tuesday.
You won't regret that decision!

ISPKI

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have my duralift pump all hooked up, giving me a nice solid flow of fuel. Much easier to bleed air out of the system it seems. I juiced up the rig and tried to fire it up...and it has no sign of firing at all.

I have solid fuel flow coming out of the shrader valve on the filter head but im not even getting any smoke out of the tail pipe. My next steps are to check the fuel supply line from filter head to the IP, then after that I dont really know what else to check.

Should I unbolt one or several of the fuel hardlines at each injector and see if I am getting consistent fuel flow there? Is it possible for the IP or some bit in there to get clogged?

My truck does have about 160k on it, most likely running the original IP. Is it possible that the IP could be so warn that it wont even pump fuel?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes crack all the lines ,bleed the air, close up as they spit fuel.
Good luck with the pump.

ISPKI

Reaction score
The big Slug lives again! That first injector under the fuel filter seems to have been the culprit, was having a helluva time loosening the nuts. Once I got them cracked, truck started coughing immediately. Tightened em up and it fired up pretty quick.

I bolted the duralift pump to the side of the fuel filter tower. Not sure if that's a good spot for it, where does everyone else mount theirs?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is on a shelf next to a holley red box.
It was down on the frame, most are pass. Inner fender and where yours is.

ezskankin

Reaction score
Here's an FYI on Diesel electric fuel pumps-- I have 2 (lucky me) 1984 F250 6.9's --one is Banks Turbocharged and I ran a Holly Red on it for 2+ years with no problems but then it started loosing pressure. Holly advised that the impeller in that pump will deteriorate on diesel fuel and recommended a Mr Gasket 12D, which is designed for diesel--(about $75. from Holly). I have been using that for over 2 years with no problems so far.

Reactions: Clb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing how this won't die....

Let's visit the over pressure situation...
We know the calibration is set at 5 psi...
Wes posted placing a bypass regulator after the filter head and placing the bypass back into the feed line from the tank just before the filter head.

So let's talk about the pressure and flow characteristics of this versus dumping it to the return line.

? Does the bypass in the feed line cause the regulator to change properties?
Aka does it kinda defeat the purpose?
Adding incoming psi on the regulator bypass side?

Does dumping to the return backfeed the IP?
Let's chew on it...
@Shaggy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88