Upgraded Alternator?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
What are some good sources for upgraded alternators? Looking to get a better one as my battery light flashed a time or two last time I was out running the snowplow.

thanks

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your voltage regulator good? My dad's truck would flash from time to time at idle and once we changed the regulator it stopped flashing.

If you still want to upgrade look in the tech articles for the 130 Amp 3g alternator, I do believe this requires a conversion to serpentine though.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my alt to a rebuilder just last monday. He somehow took my 70a alt and while rebuilding it made it into a 100a alt. I watched him take it apart and change the bearings,brushes and windings. Cost was very reasonable i thought...$40+tax

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is on your 94 I think you already have the ford 3g alternator that is considered a 130amp alternator. At this point I'm wondering if you need to check places that sell alternators and see if they have a higher amp unit for your 94. Could also look at adding a second alternator like the ambulances had.

I believe the alternator on the v-belt trucks is like a 70A or 90A unit. So a lot of us change to the 3G off a taurus for the added amps.

Might try this place although I couldn't find anything for the 7.3 IDI serpentine trucks. May need to call them.
http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-3937-regular-output.aspx

jhenegh

Reaction score
Well more backstory. I do believe it is the 3G alt, and it is on my 94 so it's a serpentine setup.

I'm chasing down a belt squeak and I have a new belt and tensioner pulley so far. Idler was tight with no play.

At a balmy -17F this last week while plowing snow, occasionally my volt gauge would stay down after moving the snowplow in any direction (it is essentially a starter motor to run it so it draws a lot, the voltmeter typically bounces right back after the motor turns off). And when that happened and the gauge would eventually come back up, the belt would squeak even more, like it was slipping under a huge load.

Hood has been frozen shut until today so I'm gonna go look some more today and see what i can see. But those symptoms were making me think alternator or alt. pulley possibly.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I bought an alternater from an ebay seller about 7 years ago. The seller claimed it was a serpentine 200 amp. Not so. It tested to 180 amps...:sly My mom & pop rebuilder told me if it was a 200 amp unit then the windings would have 3 or 4 connections to the bridge. Can't recall what it was. also can't find or recall the name of the ebay seller either... CRS these days...:confused::angel:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really wondering what a new belt would do for you. The squeaking under load really make me think slipping belt when the alt is pulling hard.

jhenegh

Reaction score
I'm chasing down a belt squeak and I have a new belt and tensioner pulley so far. Idler was tight with no play.

Got a new belt last week. My thought is that the alternator itself is part of the problem

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Easy thing to do is remove the belt and spin the alternater. Might find the bearings going bad. Also check all the other spinning areas of the serpentine belt system.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont see where they have a 250 you got a number or website also what did you give for it?

Don't know price cause bought it used...box and all paperwork said 250 amp, I've had it run winch lights and heater and so forth n not break sweat...

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/

It was a custom one for a guy with a stupid stereo and it still wasn't enough he sold it to me and then did god only knows what LOL

This was several years ago now

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i got my truck 3 years ago I replaced the belt, and everything was good for a year, then every now and again it would squeak and I thought nothing of it, until it popped off around midnight coming home 6 months later.

Napa warrantied the belt but strongly suggested I replace the tensioner as well with each new belt(Technically they require it for warranty). I did, and good thing because one of the tabs had broken off the backside where you couldn't see it. I believe the tensioner suffered because I had a locked up fan clutch on there for the first year.

Cliff notes: Replace the tensioner as well!