Upgraded Alternator?

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
X2 tensioner for serp belts. My crew cab sounds like a Cummins on shutdown. With hydro boost and slow, fast turning I can hear my belt squeak. My tensioner is on its way out

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 3g on my 86, and it wasn't that difficult to turn into a V-Belt

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
First thing to do is be certain you are not throwing snow / water / slush up on the belt when you are plowing.

Thing is, sometimes if I'm getting a lot of powder dust/fluff over the plow and assumingly going through the radiator, the belt quits squeaking for a minute or two, like the water lubricates it in that situation :dunno

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
If you find its not the belt or the alt and the batteries load test and specific gravity test and you are still having trouble look at the plow pump. Bad ground is first thing to look for then the pump motor. If its pulling too much current no alternator is going to help you. I plowed for 10 years with a 88 gasser single battery with a 130 amp tarus alternator. Never had and issue. Use the oem pump fluid especially if it is a meyers pump. Its made for cold weather. Other oils may get thick causing pump to pull more current

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
250amp!? Have any issues with belt tensioning? R u running v-belt or serp?

It was on the Tug...aka Bronco with 5.8 it was a serp setup, I've gotta change the case to pedestal mount for the 7.3 serp setup so I've got one now to swap to.

No biggy...and NOPE no issues tensioning on 5.8 waiting on diesel!

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
It was on the Tug...aka Bronco with 5.8 it was a serp setup, I've gotta change the case to pedestal mount for the 7.3 serp setup so I've got one now to swap to.

No biggy...and NOPE no issues tensioning on 5.8 waiting on diesel!

Ill talk to my local alt, starter, motor guy... he told me 200amp originally.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Well it hasn't squeaked in awhile... makes it hard to diagnose. Also with it being in the 40's rather than -10's the whole electrical system seems happier. Time will tell. I'm keeping an eye on everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online