ULSD FUEL ALERT!!!

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
School around here was canceled today not because of snow fall, but because every bus had "gelled" fuel this morning and would not start.:dunno About 20 trucks around town were sitting along the road waiting for tow trucks due to "gelled" fuel. According to the bus barn mechanics, the ULSD fuel we get over here is winterized to 0 degrees F, but the fuel accually starts to "cloud" and "gel" around 15F. It reacts to the cold as if it's 10-15 degrees colder than it really is. I'm headed down tonight to get some GOOD anti-gel and get it in the tanks... I hope it's not too late:confused:. Low here was -8F last night with a wind chill of -17. High today at 2:30PM was +4F:eek:. Tonight is supposed to be colder and a high around +3 tomorrow:eek:.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep same here man. It was -16 here last night and I could not believe all the vehicles that were stalled on gelled fuel.
We did the same. Immediately put some power service in the tanks and we didnt have any trouble with it but man we sure could have.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a relay-activated, thermostatically controlled glow plug heater mounted just before the filter (and a plugged in block heater) probably would have kept every single one of those rigs truckin' right a long - at least it works for me.

paul

zpd307

Reaction score
no problems here last night. when the cold front hit, it went from 41 to 3. i had to pick up the squirts at g-parents house in waseca. by the time i got hom at 10:30 last night, it was -3. the truck ran just fine. i did not start it today, the high was -2.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man... I'm glad we have consistent cold weather here... We start to get winter blended fuel in September, and right about now, I'm burning a mix that's nearly straight #1 and has the same anti gel and anti icing additives as Jet A-1... The fuel mileage suffers, but I'll take that in exchange for not having to worry about it. The only fuel additive I have ever run is 2 stroke oil...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yikes, this isnt so good LOL. I have no additive in my tans and its supposed to get to single digits. School was delayed tommorow for 2 hours, but it'll still be in the teens. Hopefully my fuel isnt to gelled (though since it doesnt get cold I bet it will). Oh well LOL

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I found one bottle of "Sea Foam" left on the shelf at Bi-Mart tonight. Every parts store, Wal-Mart, Fred Meyers, and Joes was sold out of anti-gel. I thought I was going to have to make a 30 mile drive in the snow to find a bottle. The bottle said it'd treat 16 gallons, so I mixed it with 5 gallons of fresh diesel and poured it in.

Now, the part that makes me feel like an idiot...
I haven't started the truck since Saturday afternoon. I had the truck plugged in (at least at the truck... Forgot to plug the other end into the outlet... lol.) I hopped in and as the glow plug light is going out, I look out through the windshield to see my fiancee holding the other end of the cord and shaking her head... I think "Crap!", but hit the key anyways. After sitting through below zero temps last night, no higher than 4F today, and a current temp of 3F, the truck cranked over for about 6 seconds and FIRED! I was so happy. I have it idleing right now to see if the fuel did "gel", but it's been 15 minutes so far and it hasn't "died", so I guess I'm okay.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of anti-gelling additives, what's a decent one? My good local parts store (Glendale Auto) carries the Power Service stuff, which one from their lineup should I use as a preventive treatment? We're down to the 20s consistently here, and my truck sits at school for good 10 hours at a time and naturally I have nowhere to plug it in before I head home in the evening, today it took her whole 2 seconds to fire up (glowplugs system in perfect condition). I'm also thinking of switching the oil to something like 0W50, if I can find one, cause the colder it gets the longer it takes her to build up pressure...

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Cant say I have ever heard anything good about the diesel 911 power service makes. It works but it will find the weak spots in your injector lines and you may have to replace them. The other stuff they makes seems to have a good rep though so I'm sticking with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828