ULSD FUEL ALERT!!!

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I'm sure that my fuel wasn't gelled up, but I just wanted to add some additive to be on the safe side... Better safe than sorry right? I added that "Sea Foam" with another 5 gallons of pump diesel and let the truck idle for about 20 minutes. I mad sure that it's plugged in this time.;SweetLOL:rotflmao

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
What do they put into the winter diesel mix?

Not sure...:dunno A bunch of us in this area have send emails to the EPA complaining about this ULSD crap and trying to figure out what they're going to do about it since the entire school district fleet had gelled fuel and local shops said about 40-50 trucks have been in for galled fuel. Maybe we just got a bad batch over here or something.:dunno

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Im in North western British Columbia, and its 7:30 pm right now, its -36degrees celcius with heavy winds. Been like this for the last 2 weeks and supposed to carry on until xmas or the week after, weve got #1 diesel here as well and the millage sucks but at least i dont have to worry about gelling. if im downtown i let me truck idle all the time, or if im somewhere it can be pluged in ill do that, i have the winter front in, and a skirt underkneath the engine to keep it warm or i get next to no heat. more often the not its running. The other day i was down on the river bed and broke through ice and my front end went for a swim for 4 hours or so while i waited to get pulled out it was -38 that night and 75km/hr winds that night it sucked.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
So given the frigid temps that I'm looking at here and on my jaunts through Wyoming and Montana I was wondering should I be looking at one of those shields that go over the front of the radiator or anything else?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do they put into the winter diesel mix?

Since during the 90's through mid 00's I used to be an oil sales and delivery man myself I can tell you that what the major terminals put in the #2 fuel to winterize it is simply a mixture of #1 or K1 (Kerosene) - and possibly a propriety additive or so if it feels like it. However when they start blending is another story altogether since it adds to the cost of the fuel, and therefore reduces the profits. The jobber just down the food chain that orders for the local stations usually makes THAT call. It all comes down to the bottom line in most cases.

I will state that since bulk quantities of diesel fuel are purchased on the farm in large amounts in the spring, summer, and fall for harvesting and planting duties there are usually large amounts left over for winter and for that I will blend up from a 75% 2 to 25% K1 mix for the cold temps, up to a good 50/50 blend for the nasty temps. Power Service is a WONDERFUL additive, especially in todays older engines that could use a bit more lubricating than what the current ULSD levels provide, but in extreme cases of cold AND wind some rec cans of Isopropyl is a godsend. Hey, give me a hard time if you want but I've been using the stuff since I was a kid and have been working on diesel systems since I was a couple years older than a kid.

As for wind not affecting an inanimate object, well it sounds really good in theory. But for proof I'd suggest checking out outside fuel oil tanks that get bombarded by wind and experience gelling issues regularly. And it has nothing to do with moisture in the tank since before the weather drops I always stick the tanks and check for moisture and have it removed when needed. Wind does have some effect on vehicles, and other fuels stores.

I'm no scientist by any means, but since farming with diesel since the early 70's and not having any shelter to put them in, I do have some experience with cold weather operation. But I am always willing to learn where I can.

By the way, perhaps it is my "older" age that makes me appreciate the mechanically operated systems a lot more than the computerized ones. In fact the newest vehicle I own in an '03 Harley, and that's as new as I plan to get.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So given the frigid temps that I'm looking at here and on my jaunts through Wyoming and Montana I was wondering should I be looking at one of those shields that go over the front of the radiator or anything else?

They make a HUGE difference! In a pinch, cardboard in front of the radiator is a wonderful thing and can be removed and stashed quickly.

I guess I've just proven that I am rather utilitarian and don't come from a lot of money.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
...and it's not just the ULSD that can leave you hanging these days. While I was up in IL in the 8 deg temps having fun with my fuel, after having my bed tank pumped off in the shop at the Petro truck stop, I pulled around to the pumps and low and behold, they had both ULSD 15ppm and ls500ppm pumps , and I tried to fill up on " the good stuff" but all of their 500 ppm pumps were froze up in the ground -cuss couldn't get a drop out of any of them. Aparantly they hadn't been selling much of it and their winter mix hadn't hit yet :backoff

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power Service is a WONDERFUL additive

I read your entire post three times and appreciate good solid information from someone with plenty of first-hand experience.

Is your confidence in Power Service mean using it for it's anti-gel properties, or it's lubricant properties only ?? (just want to be sure of what you are meaning)

in extreme cases of cold AND wind some ??rec?? cans of Isopropyl is a godsend.(what means "rec" ?? Thanks.)

Please explain your use of isopropyl in detail.

Where and how to buy, what ratio/gallon, when and why you use it, etc.

Thanks.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Please explain your use of isopropyl in detail. Where and how to buy, what ratio/gallon, when and why you use it, etc. Thanks.

I just used some of the "red" bottle of isopropyl alcohol is my truck last night. The product is called Iso-HEET and is available at Wal-Mart, Fred Meyers, and any parts place. It comes in a yellow (gasoline engines) or red (gasoline, 2 stroke, and diesel applications). It is a 12 FL OZ bottle and treats up to 20 gallons. I had about 8 gallons of WMO (blended 50/50) in the rear tank and about 10 gallons of #2 diesel in the front tank. The #2 is "winterized" fuel from the Shell station. I poured half a bottle into each tank. I used it because it claims to provide faster starts, prevent fuel line freeze ups, and prevent rust and corrosion, and clean injectors. It recommends using one both with each fill-up in winter and at least every 5,000 miles year round. I had already used some Sea Foam in the tanks to prevent any gelling (sorry, but didn't remember the exact mix/ratio on that) about a week ago. I drove the truck to work today and did notice that it seemed to start a little faster after sitting in 5*F temperatures after sitting for about 5 hours. Normally it'd take a few seconds and then fire off, but today it fired off right away. I haven't had a chance to see what the results are on my WMO blend yet. I added the Iso-HEET to the WMO blend just incase any water was in any of the oil that I've mixed. I hope this helps in your "quest" to put together some statistics.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
This reminds me of the time back in the 70's,Exxon put a bad bunch of fuel in the tanks at the trucking company I worked for in New Hampshire-they had 50 trucks down within a few miles of the terminal all froze up.Exon had installed our fuel island and pumping system so we would use thier fuel.8,000 gals every few days. Any way they had all the wreckers in Nashua Newhampshire out working for them we went home with an 8 hour mini for pay-talk about easy money!!

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read your entire post three times and appreciate good solid information from someone with plenty of first-hand experience.

Is your confidence in Power Service mean using it for it's anti-gel properties, or it's lubricant properties only ?? (just want to be sure of what you are meaning)

Please explain your use of isopropyl in detail.

Where and how to buy, what ratio/gallon, when and why you use it, etc.

Thanks.

I have to apologize for a post that had a spelling error of one letter that proved to be critical.

by "rec" cans of isopropyl, I meant RED as K_Williams1982 pointed out. And it is INCREDIBLE in extreme cases of frozen fuel lines both gasoline and diesel fuel. My first experience with that was back in 1986 when I was driving my truck to school.

The truck died because it was so damn cold out, and I didn't want to leave it until that evening and pull it home with the tractor. So I dropped in a couple cans of RED HEET and 20minutes later the line was thawed and my truck made it the rest of the way there. I wasn't even late since I was a computer geek and was going to work on the computer before school started so I was 45 minutes early anyway. But I digress...

We had always run the RED HEET in our tractors and vehicles until my brother started school for Diesel Mechanics in fall of '89, that's when we started using Power Service as he discovered it in school. And we used it winter/summer religiously in our diesel systems since. It does have great lubrication qualities as well as anti-gel properties. However when there is a chance that some moisture got in the system or the weather dips VERY low, we still all the RED HEET as an extra precaution. It may be overkill, but I'd rather not be stranded. And in twenty some years of driving in sub-zero weather as well as nearly forty years of working diesel tractors and equipment out in weather colder than the steel and hydraulics care for, I have yet to have any more freeze ups since that one day in high school.

Bear in mind when I say RED HEET, I am referring to a couple of different brands of Isopropyl in the red container. I even use the stuff in the summer time in my gas engines as an injector cleaner, one can ever or every other tank. Depends how much running I do but usually one cal per ten gallons as noted on the container.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Heet is just 91% isopropyl alcohol, in a fancy bottle, and at a fancy price. Old schoolers used to use 1/2 oz per gallon. I use it in my Kero Heater when I use dyed kero.

It wont do anything to prevent gelling. It is used to absorb moisture.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heet is just 91% isopropyl alcohol, in a fancy bottle, and at a fancy price. Old schoolers used to use 1/2 oz per gallon. I use it in my Kero Heater when I use dyed kero.

It wont do anything to prevent gelling. It is used to absorb moisture.

I never said it prevented gelling, that's what K1 is for (and Power Service helps). But Isopropyl does help clear a frozen line. And it also makes a good carb cleaner, kerosene heater starter (like a Jung Heater), it has many uses and passing moisture out of the line is one.

30 some years of using this stuff for a lot of uses, and I am a firm believer. I use other products but can't recommend them due to their caustic and highly combustible qualities...