Two questions that may be related

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case... it has to be fuel related. Timing/fueling/injectors. Probably timing, either base or, say, the curve being completely wrong(worn out IP?). Got a video of it running and driving?

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case... it has to be fuel related. Timing/fueling/injectors. Probably timing, either base or, say, the curve being completely wrong(worn out IP?). Got a video of it running and driving?
I'll get her running (As it is now) and record it.

I used to have the bull moose pump on her. But sense having this issue, put the "stock" pump back on. This pump came with the motor. I also swapped the injectors back out to the ones that came with this motor.

I wanted to put the motor back to how I got it.

But now that I know it's not the Moose Pump (sense I still destroyed a gp after swapping), I'll put the Moose back on before proper timing.

I've gotten mixed responses about the crank gear being off time. General consensus is that I would defiantly notice something wrong. From what I can gather, that crank gear would effect valve timing and not the fuel timing.

Coincidently, my head starts to hurt when I try and work this out.

I think the photo was posted in another thread by *icanfixall*. I'm referring to that bottom, smaller gear. Say, what if it was off a tooth?
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the top gear is what turns the IP and most of the time that is what is off a tooth or so.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "bottom gear" is the crank. If the crank and cam gears are not synchronized, well, it'll be like any other engine with the valve timing off. Just how extensive was this rebuild? Did it involve removing the camshaft?

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "bottom gear" is the crank. If the crank and cam gears are not synchronized, well, it'll be like any other engine with the valve timing off. Just how extensive was this rebuild? Did it involve removing the camshaft?
Unfortunately I don't know the extent of the rebuild.

After some looking around, I found this on another thread. I guess I don't need to worry about the crank being out of time. According to *towcat* I would have some bad things happening if the valves were even a little out of time.
You must be registered for see images

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to rule out crank-to-cam timing being 1 tooth off at this point; I doubt it would run well, but it might still run. Minor piston to valve contact, you won't even notice over the usual clatter of the motor, and the valves are square to the piston so it won't bend. It will just run horribly and have little power.

Also, I'm thinking about the R&D cam being installed one tooth off(but in theory working dot-to-dot) as it might be possible for it to be one tooth off and still 'run'.

At this point, everything else having failed... It's probably time for drastic measures.
1. Pull the front cover(with waterpump), check ip-to-cam-to-crank.
2. Pull the heads, check valve recession, piston height above deck etc.

Yeah, this is a pain... but we've tried all the easy options. Now it's time to go in deep and check for obvious issues.

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The link below is of the truck running. I started the video immediately after I started the truck. So I need to do another one when the truck is nice and warm. But I don't think there's going to be any difference. Today I'll take another one of the truck warm.

As a side note, my previous 7.3 L motor had an engine block heater that worked extremely well. This one I feel like I need to have it on there pretty much 4 hours or so before she'll start it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n1sP-K8m3TzBul8u8ZR2gfVkjEGvWUjq/view?usp=sharing

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That is wwwwwaaaaayyyyyyy advanced. I'e heard a 7.3 IDI advanced to where it sounds like a 7.3 PSD. I've never heard one advanced enough to be tinny like a 6.0 PSD.

If I only heard the sound and didn't see the engine, I would think it's an unhappy 6.0, not an IDI....... Man that sounds like a cold 6.0 PSD.........

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh... it doesn't sound as advanced to me as it does to you. It sounds... normal, except for the knock. Like one injector is firing early, or maby it's firing late and the next is trying to pick it up. That blue smoke isn't advanced timing, that's for sure.

I still think you'll find something off when you take the motor apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online