twin turbo's

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
A friend and I should get his "project" finished within the next week or so. We are turning his 96 GMC into a twin turboed machine. The pistons were ceramic coated for heat rejection, they were also supposed to be planed down, but the machine shop screwed up. We are going to be useing to GM turbos and for cost are going to retain the electronic injection. I have fooled the boost sensor so the computer wont throw a code at not being able to control boost. We are building a homade exhaut manifold on the driverside and the top half of the intake plenum. High pop, high flow injectors will be installed, along with a computer program. Does anyone have any ideas to add to this??
Justin

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to use a passenger side ex manifold on the drivers side? You would have to weld up the inlet that was conecting from the drivers side. May work, may not???????

Dodgeman101

Sled ******
Reaction score
Are you going to have enough fuel to spin twins? What turbos are you using? both "gm" turbos? same size? You plan on running one turbo on each side? I hope it works for you I would like to hear and update some time in the future.

Dodgeman101

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
We are going to use two GM turbo's one on each side. I am strongly pushing for a different turbo with a smaller A/R on the exhaust side so he can spin them with out a chip. As far as the exhuast manifold goes, we figured it would be just as quick to make one out of tubing as it would to try to revamp the exhisting one. The machine shop didn't get the heads done by Fri. evening so that is holding us up for now. They are supposed to be done Tues. now, machine shops, got to love um.
Justin

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
No extras on the bottom, the block was crack free to begin with and we hope it will stay that way. For starters we have just made a 1/4 inch plate with a 2.5 inch pipe going in it. The project may be delayed for a while because the machine shop didn't machine the pistons correctly.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, You need to switch machine shops! This is at least your second mishap... whew....

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Yeah, it has been settled I will drive 60 miles to go to a different machine shop over these *********. A list of the things that they have messed up that I now know about: these pistons, a set of 350 rods, and a crank out of a JD G. The crank and 350 mistake cost $1000's to fix, but I have now come to learn that the didn't stand behind any of it. Oh well, better luck next time i guess.
Justin

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your kidding me... They stiffed you with the bill to fix it all? What a crock of ****......

Maybe you should do a dmax implant... Sounds like it would be cheaper.....

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The persons pickup that this is going into has a very bad hatred for computers, so I don't think I'll be talking him into that... I do have a 671 detroit sitting in the shop, just waiting for a home... :D

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that things a torque monster and would make a great pulling motor... But that tranny would be interesting...... Allison..... But do you have the room under the truck...... That would be fun.....