twin turbo's

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I have a Fuller 13 spd that came with the motor, after measuring my pickup I think with a little persuasion it could be made to fit. The only problem would be I would get tired of shifting it, those 13's aren't to easy to skip gears in...

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dieseldummy
The persons pickup that this is going into has a very bad hatred for computers, so I don't think I'll be talking him into that... I do have a 671 detroit sitting in the shop, just waiting for a home... :D

Just do it.... ;) ;) Somewhere I ran across a drag racer with a mid 70's Chevy and a twin turbo 671 - Looks like it fit in there quite nicely - if I run across the pic's again I'll post the link!

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I think it would be cool. If not in the 96, maybe the 70 GMC, it would make a mean offroader and maybe even puller...

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard of a local guy who put a small Cat motor in a GM 5/4 ex-military pickup. I dont know if it was a 3208 or 3216, I get the numbers mixed up. But they always put them in the 6500 series trucks, and the cabs are virtually identical. doors and fenders even fit. I also saw a new Volvo tractor that had a late 90s Chevy cc dually body sitting up on top of it. It was really cool looking, although probably about $80,000 worth of useless. Well, I don't know if it was useless, they pulled a real long race trailer with it, but a medium duty hotshot would have probably been better. I suppose having enough disposable money to crossbreed a 3500 Chevy with a Volvo semi tractor is cool in and of itself. If somebody didnt dare to build stuff like that, where would this country be?

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
No, after trouble with the machine shop and a couple of other things a single holset was the choice. Some people just can't make up their mind and my friend is one of them...

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
So how did it turn out? I have found quite a bit on the old 6.5's on the net and you can make them pretty good engines. Is yours intercooled or not, and what mods have you done? Why havnt you changed out your injection pump to the DB2 mechanical pump? Check out these sites and see what you think!

http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/parts.htm

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/finale.htm

http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com/6.5intercooler.htm

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/

The first site has a twin kit for them! Guy is letting me know tonight what he is going to do. If I get it I will find out exactly what kind of HP's are possible from a performance overhaul like I was going to do to the Cummins.

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey DieselDummy, can you tell me about fooling the boost sensor? I have a mechanical wastegate controller, and my SES light comes on everytime I drive on the highway, no matter how easy I drive. The code scanned for a boost sensor, so against my better judgement I replaced it, but it did no good except make my wallet $42 lighter. I appreciate any advice you can give me.
I watch the boost gauge pretty close so I know it isnt overboosting, but what I have noticed is it doesnt feel like its going into overdrive. After about a half mile in what feels like fourth gear, the SES light pops on...***

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
dazedandconfused, the single holset turned out good. it's not intercooled, but has Bill Heaths water injection and his ecm reflash makes up for the mechanical pump.
detroitdan, a resistor can be wired in, I haven't had great luck with this approach can't ever get the wiring quite right again. I know that a few vendors on other sites offer a plug and play version of this that is supposed to work quite well. Check what the specific code is if it is for overboost or a wiring fault, high or low voltage. That's all I know to tell ya. Goodluck
Justin

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Has he had it dynoed since yall got it together to see what kind of difference it has made in hp? That one site I posted has that twined 6.5 at 400hp, not bad for a so called POS diesel! I'm sticking with my Cummins after the guy told me he didn't think it would run as good as his 6.5 would. I told him to shove it up his ass as I was laughing and walking away!

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
No dyno other than the pull a big ass trailer type. It does pretty good hauling big loads. That was the idea behind all that was done. Anyone who says a cummins won't run with a 6.5 is a *******.

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Yeap that is what I said. I told him I would bring it back down when I am done with the conversion and take him for a ride while it is somewhat stock! You planning on changing yours over to a Cummins?

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Hell, I don't know. I'll just be happy to have something reliable, even if it is a Toyota diesel...

rubberfish

Reaction score
Originally posted by DetroitDan
can you tell me about fooling the boost sensor?

Dan, if I remember correctly, the green wire to the sensor.
Cut it. And put in a 10k variable resister.
It's supposed to fool the truck so it won't defuel and set codes.

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great, thanks Bob. I'll try it as soon as I get back from vacation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7