twin turbo idi

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming those new turbos are wastegated? Have you messed with the wastegates at all to get a lil more boost?

Also what rpm are you hitting max boost at now? Anyway glad its making more power for you now. I can't wait to see what it does on the dyno!

94idift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont no cause i have no were to drive it that i can take it over like 50. But before with the other turbos if i put it in second and held the brake and tried to do a boosted launch it would not build any boost but now with these i can launch at like 10psi. As far as wasgates go they are soposed to have waste gated housing but i made plates that go on the back with 3'' v bands so they dont have wastegates.

94idift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont no cause i have no were to drive it that i can take it over like 50. But before with the other turbos if i put it in second and held the brake and tried to do a boosted launch it would not build any boost but now with these i can launch at like 10psi. As far as wasgates go they are soposed to have waste gated housing but i made plates that go on the back with 3'' v bands so they dont have wastegates.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Well..it seems like it's 10cc's more than what the Super Moose would have been. I don't recall that anybody ever ponied up the $$$ to build one, so technically there was no super moose.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The Omega Moose is the next step up from the Bull Moose.
Most of us here are frugal with our money and given the inherent problem with a db4 hybrid, will stick with a safer upgrade.
I'm glad to see the Omega being tested.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What all goes into increasing the fule on one of those moose pumps? i know it not like the DB or RD4 pumps.

can you increase the fueling curve as well to give more fuel sooner. like lower in the rpm band to spool these twins for tuning. imagine 10 psi off 1000 rpms and hitting 20psi by 2000

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Goose, I get your reasoning, and I think he does that a little bit, but wouldn't that just equal more smoke or rpm once you actually start burning it all?

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wells fuel = more heat = more enegry to spin the turbine, and with the twins on there i think there is alot more freedom with air ratio and compression ratios with the t3 and t4 market. so some might say you can do the same with a single turbo better with VGT, but i think we are limited with the overall size of the engine in these truck. we got to beat the firewall back just to get the downpipe in on some trucks, and bend fuel lines on others. also due to the simplicity of these beasts with hardly any electonics to reference a vgt. cheap down and dirty t3/t4 turbos might save room and money.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Low rpm high boost is actually pretty ******* the bottom end. It would be nice to have that boost down low, but it would drastically reduce the engines life, the bearings would hate it.

These things make the most fuel at low rpms anywyas, like most IP's. As rpms increase, generally, fuel output lowers. I believe the industry standard is to calculate it based off of 1400 rpms (engine wise).

And to much low end fueling will actually hurt turbo performance. You can read that a lot on the cummins forums, I think they call it "washing out" the turbo or something like that.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think we will ever "wash out" since we are only producing, to date, max of a 180 cc of fuel for 8 cylinders. when we get to a 1,000 cc of fuel like the p-pump cummins then i think we can worry.

as to the low rpm fueling i think more boost would help, right? i think more damage is done to the bottom end when you just dump the clutch, turbo lag for stock turbos till about 1800rpm, or just stomp on it from low rpm and whatch the motor fall on it face till it is up in the rpm.

i not saying we need 200 cc off idel fuel wise, but get something heat wise to get the fire burning faster

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The VE cummins crowd talk about it, and their pumps don't flow to much more than a DB2. Maybe your right though.

Yes low end boost would help that, but it is ******* the bottom end. The difference between the wear and tear of 10psi at 1000rpms and 10psi at 2000 rpms is pretty drastic. Could theytake it? Yes. But it would decrease the life of everything that much more. Besides the backpressure to make 10psi at 1000rpms would be pretty darn high, only a VGT turbo could really achieve that and still have a driveable truck.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just regurgitate what I've read in the past LOL.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low rpm high boost is actually pretty ******* the bottom end. It would be nice to have that boost down low, but it would drastically reduce the engines life, the bearings would hate it.

These things make the most fuel at low rpms anywyas, like most IP's. As rpms increase, generally, fuel output lowers. I believe the industry standard is to calculate it based off of 1400 rpms (engine wise).

And to much low end fueling will actually hurt turbo performance. You can read that a lot on the cummins forums, I think they call it "washing out" the turbo or something like that.

FINALLY someone gets it, if these had higher oil pressure at low speed it wouldnt be as big a deal.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with raising flow/pressure?

Using a lubricant with a high HTHS index will eliminate the wear of high load at low rpm.

The IDI International has an exceptional oiling system for low rpm high load.

Ever seen a N/A IDI towing 6 vehicles on a trailer? I have, that is one hell of a load on the oil.

They make top quality lubricant's for a reason...

Javier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online