Twin Turbo Build Thread.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sitting here kinda board the weather is crapy and I dont feel like getting out in the wind so I will start this thread. I finally got my engine running that has been built for sometime after fighting some head stud issues. It seems to run great. I was going to pop on my turbo and PSD intercooler but I just started thinking of what I could do to help this thing out. The main goal for me is to keep down my EGT's but still be able to fuel like crazy when needed. Or at least do the best I can. I kept thinking about how much I did not like the crimped ATS turbo up pipe and smallish turbin side. I thought maybe I could help it by adding another turbo. Maybe the extra flow might help EGT's? Maybe I could spool up faster? I am really not sure about much here. I will say Im going to give it a shot and if all else fails just put back on the ATS stuff and call it done.

Lets lay out the game plan and players here.

Truck:
1994 Ford F-350 Turbo Diesel
Extended cab dually
4x4 conversion (no front adapters, using D60 with true 4X hubs for dually)

Engine:
1994 7.3L IDI Turbo Diesel
Bored .020 over Sleeved in 2 holes were the casting was thin.
Stock Rods and crank
Mahle forged pistons ceramic coated on top (stock cp ratio)
Total seal rings
clevite 77 H series bearings
Fully balanced with luk SM flywheel and clutch
Fel-pro gaskets
ARP Studs
Ported heads and intake

Trans:
ZF five speed converted to 4X4 verion

Twin Turbo parts and stuff:

2-1/4" mandrel bend kit
2-1/4" section of straight pipe
3" mandrel bends and pipe
T3/T4 flanges
2 oil feed line kits
Powerstroke intercooler (all aluminum version no plastic tanks)
Hypermax intercooled version intake hat
2 T3/T4 turbos with internall wastegates

I will try and get some pics up.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you size the turbos correctly and don't add too much fuel it will achieve your goal. Flatlander was able to have very low EGTs with a stock pump maxed out with his compound turbo setup.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I've been thinking about using GM8 turbo's from a 6.5 because those guys seem to have good luck with running two of them so why can't we, with our larger displacement.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your going to sell your existing turbo setup can i have first dibb`s

Sure but I dont know if I will sell it. If I do I will let you know though. I may put together a work truck and use it but Im not sure yet.

On a side note. I got the truck to start with a key now and Im having a few problems. One-the wait to start light doesnt come on like it used to. Two-the truck has an alarm and its one mega POS and Im about ready to chain saw it out of the truck. It will shut the truck down at times. I gotta rip all that out this week if I get time. Three-the heater core was leaking but I put a new one in it today so thats fixed and I pressure tested it for good measure and the coolant system held a steady 14psi. My mom is bringing my turbos down for me so maybe next week I can get started on the piping.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made a little start up vid this weekend I will try and get it up soon. Also got my turbos so should get started soon. Pics will be up soon.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No luck with loading the vid I had we will figure it out. Im scrapping the twin turbo plan. I sent my turbo off to Russ today for upgrades. Started the dana 60 swap and my rear drive shaft is at fleetpride getting cut down.

You must be registered for see images attach

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is Russ doing to the turbo?

Heck if I know I told him to put the biggest baddest turbo wheel and compressor housing he could on it. lol Not sure what that amounts to but he said he could help it out a bunch.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck if I know I told him to put the biggest baddest turbo wheel and compressor housing he could on it. lol Not sure what that amounts to but he said he could help it out a bunch.

He said a bigger compressor housing and wheel.

Wow I didnt mean to quote myself.....ooops

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you doing with the Dana 50??? If it has 4.10's I would be interested in it....

Not sure yet on the dana 50. It has new spicer axle joints, new axle boot, and brand new 4.10 gears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger