Turning up the pump....are we wrong??

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i have a question about the pump also, i know what both the screw behind the triangle and the fuel inlet screw does now. now what does the external screw on the pump control?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened?

The prototype Moose Pump was not available before the annual IDI Weekend rally so I went without it. It was finished a day or two after I left, so I had it shipped to the rally and I swapped it out. Worked great, but sprung a leak due to a cut O-ring. In the course of trying to repair the leak, I had the nose cone off and the innards out of it. After that, what went wrong is anyone's guess, but I'm hear to tell you not to mess around in there. It's VERY sensitive. In the end, it was determined that the nose cone was what was cutting the O-ring, and it was replaced.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep I have played quite a bit with the inlet fuel pressure regulator and it does mess with the timing. The higher pressure nets advanced timing, I had it all over the map trying to wring the last drop of HP out of The E.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of the GM guys will go in a DB2 pump far enough to replace the seals and such, but leave true rebuild work to a properly equipped shop. Interesting how we view this same pump differently. Did whatever you did wind up ruining the pump or set it all out of whack or what? I have often been tempted to tear into a junked DB2 and see what makes them go especially one that I have laying in the garage, but I can't make myself do it, as I'm afraid of having a similar experience to what you did.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I was really careful with it, and I think I got some O-ring lube that was used to hold the O-ring in place (it doesn't pay to try and fix the pump on the truck) in something. My rebuilder couldn't find anything other than a little bit of that **** that was wrong with it.