turbos ats banks or hypermax

YEOLDSMOKEY

Reaction score
what do u guys think is the best for my moeny and what about tranny upgrades who makes shif kits and torqe converters thanks for ur help guys

1992-6.9

Reaction score
Customer service from ATS is horrible...more like lack of it. I am not impressed with the fit and finish either. I have some leaks. The technicians don't help either.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet it was an ATS that won "Best Turbo Whistle" in Chattanooga. cookoo Read the FAQ.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Yet it was an ATS that won "Best Turbo Whistle" in Chattanooga. cookoo

Yes it was! :thumbsup: ;Sweet

I like my ATS. For me it came down to what was available on the "used" market. This came up, the wife said yes and the rest is history.

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
Aint that the truth :Sly I scored a Hypermax after being sniped on an ATS on ebay :thumbsup: I set a price and went on the hunt. As long at it had boost I was willing

1992-6.9

Reaction score
I have no doubt that there are some good ATS units out there, however i must have had bad luck. The biggest problem I have is they won't stand behind their product and are acting like there is no such thing as a problem with their unit. Nothing is perfect.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Can't speak for their service as I have not bought or even called them for anything. All of my replacement gaskets etc was sourced at Ford. Upgrade kit came from Ken at DPS. I did download the parts diagram and install instructions from their web site.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I can't speak to differences but I am totally happy with my Hypermax. I bought it through Huff on the other site and the price was very good. The kit was complete and was a straight forward installation. It really brought my 6.9 to life. I am at 16,000# all the time and it really flattened the hills. I paid $1000.00 less for my Hypermax kit than what Banks wanted!

Jim

Last edited:

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
jauguston said:
I can't speak to differences but I am totally happy with my Hypermax. I bought it through Huff on the other site and the price was very good. The kit was complete and was a straight forward installation. It really brought my 6.9 to life. I am at 16,000# all the time and it really flattened the hills. I paid $1000.00 less for my Hypermax kit than what Banks wanted!

Jim

DITTO!!!!! ;Sweet

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
1992-6.9 said:
Customer service from ATS is horrible...more like lack of it. I am not impressed with the fit and finish either. I have some leaks. The technicians don't help either.

Having owned one truck with an ATS, I can say that I was very happy with it performance wise. The only complaint I had with it is that goofy aircleaner set up; both with the appearance and difficulty with changing the filter. The truck had that turbo on it when I got it.

I am again in the market for a turbo for a different truck.

I agree with others here, I have dealt with ATS on 2 or 3 occassions and their customer service, with me, SUCKS :puke: . The latest time was last week when I called to discuss their new Aurora2000 turbo setup for our trucks. The person I talked to couldn't give me any technical information other than it was a beefier unit cookoo . It wasn't that he couldn't give it to me, it was that he didn't know what he was talking about. I do know folks that have dealt with ATS and are very happy with them.

Banks, in my opinion, is way over priced. They do have excellent customer service. Since I already have better gauges and exhaust system than what comes with their setup, I asked for a price quote for just a basic turbo setup. Instead, I got a catalog and a salesman that calls me once a week wanting to know if all my questions have been answered. I haven't called him back yet, but no they haven't. If I can't get just a turbo setup with out all the BS, I won't be buying from them. Unless they have one hell of a sale!

That leaves Hypermax. I haven't talked to Huff yet, but I don't think I need the wastegate since the performance that I want to improve is highway, underload, thru the mountains, etc. It does fine around town stoplight to stoplight. The price is right...$500+ less than ATS, and $1000 less than Banks. Although price is not the governiong factor for me, paying for stuff I don't need is, and customer service before AND after the sale is very important. There are some design attributes with the Hypermax system that I like better as well. For example re-using the stock aircleaner. I like the look of the NA aircleaner and already have K&N filters. The dual pulse design with the plumbing tucking closer to the engine is intriguing as well.

Tom

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's my .02 ....
as far as getting service parts for all three makes...they all suck eggs and are pricey to boot. On top of that, I am a comercial shop with resale license to boot and they still won't give me the time of day. If I mention getting a full-on kit, Banks on on top of me like stink on horsepoop. The rest is still the same.
From the servicability standpoint. ATS and Hypermax is the best. Both are very well thought out on the whole. ATS is prolly the most design efficient(fewest parts and compactness) and Hypermax is a close second. The only downside of hypermax is the uppipes from the exhaust manifolds to the turbo base. Those are of exhaust pipe thickness steel and if you are living in the rustbelt, that may be an issue. Not so in Kali. Heck, I think DDC had trouble believing the pipes that came with his used Gen1 kit had 91k on it.
If it came down to my wallet on the two, ATS or Hypermax, I'd prolly go Hypermax through Huff. I've always been behind the small businessguy and Huff definitely fits in that mindset.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
well,if your truck is a bone stock,as it came from the stealership,no add ons(like 99% of the used IDI market) then banks is it.They offer the only true complete set.With banks you get everything.Intake,Turbo,Exhaust,Gauges,transmission plug and play hicky and stickers(they add 50 horses by themselves!).But,My close second choice is ATS.They were the guys Ford contracted out to for the factory Turbo trucks.Well,where before they were sold and moved.Pretty much equal to the Banks performance wise.Lastly,the one I really don't like the design of is the Hypermax.It seems to be a great system but it is non-waste gated,has sheetmetal pipes off the manifolds to the turbo,no frills like the banks setup.