Turbo

Sgtfisch

Reaction score
Hello i just bought a factory turbo kit for my 88 f350 how difficult is it to swap

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a very broad question, it really depends on your mechanical ability, how much experience with these trucks you have and what tools you have. It’s a good project but not impossible. Lots of good threads on here about that particular install, I would read up on everything that is involved and make a decision on your own

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just did it. For me it was a bit time consuming, but(again, for me) not too challenging from a mechanical difficulty/skill level point of view. What kind of and how much experience do you have? Could you R&R an intake manifold? How about a crankshaft? Everything is relative...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Russ (Typ4) can also install the seal kit, rebuild the turbo, or do some mods to make it perform better. He's highly recommended by a lot of members here, me included.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+2 on typ4 turbo work! As mentioned above it depends on how comfortable you are working on stuff, I installed my factory kit within like 3-4 hours and my 088 ats kit In just a few hours with some help when I first went from n/a. I would say just plan a day start In the am sometime and should be going by evening if you have everything

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+2 on typ4 turbo work! As mentioned above it depends on how comfortable you are working on stuff, I installed my factory kit within like 3-4 hours and my 088 ats kit In just a few hours with some help when I first went from n/a. I would say just plan a day start In the am sometime and should be going by evening if you have everything

It took me substantially longer. I've been known to be "detail oriented" - my wife just says that I'm a freak who wants everything perfect :rolleyes:
Anyway, yeah the actual kit install probably took a half day. Massaging the firewall and doing the heat barrier, redoing some wiring and vacuum lines, getting the rust off the crossover, coating and wrapping the exhaust components, installing the boost and pyrometer gauges... it was these and a bunch of other little things that eat up the time. Also, don't forget that you are working on a +/- 30 year old truck, and in my opinion, if you're gonna do it right, you better make sure all of the ancillary systems are up to ***** if you need to depend on the truck.
Me? I'd rather do it right the first time.:cheers:

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where can i get a kit for my 87 6.9
R and d idi performance,
conestoga diesel(moose boost), banks and hypermax are all new kits you can buy. Russ aka typ4 does a solid rebuild and upgrade on some of the older Kits sometimes has parts for older kits as well. Most people buy used and have them rebuilt or just used the used ones till they need rebuilt and rebuild them later or custom make your own set up. Possibilities are endless!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you are looking on a budget, see if you can find a Wastegated Banks Sidewinder kit(will have a TE06H turbo).
These are relatively easy to install, do pretty well overall and the exhaust plumbing is good.

The up-pipe has a t3 flange, so you can always swap in a new turbo if your old one can't be rebuilt cost effectively enough.

The turbo is easily good for 200-220RWHP at 12 psi of boost using a stock maxed-out IP, though you CANNOT run that on a 6.9 without headstuds.

Edit:
One other thing of note: The Ford Factory turbo(and I would assume, ATS 093) is positioned right over the #7 cylinder. Replacing the glow plug back there is a REAL PAIN with the turbo in place. It can be done, but it's an hour task.
The Banks is more centrally located, and you have lots more clearance back there; much easier to replace glow plugs and injectors.

Sgtfisch

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have 3 years for mechanic knowledge like 8 months diesel, the kits comes with everything except downpipe so I imagine its fairly simple. ill look into other threads and see what I find

Steve Olkowski

Reaction score
It took me substantially longer. I've been known to be "detail oriented" - my wife just says that I'm a freak who wants everything perfect :rolleyes:
Anyway, yeah the actual kit install probably took a half day. Massaging the firewall and doing the heat barrier, redoing some wiring and vacuum lines, getting the rust off the crossover, coating and wrapping the exhaust components, installing the boost and pyrometer gauges... it was these and a bunch of other little things that eat up the time. Also, don't forget that you are working on a +/- 30 year old truck, and in my opinion, if you're gonna do it right, you better make sure all of the ancillary systems are up to ***** if you need to depend on the truck.
Me? I'd rather do it right the first time.:cheers:
I also just installed the banks sidewinder, and as said here, make sure you massage around the turbo good, and look real good around it to make sure you have good clearance around it. Take your time, read, read, you tube, and enjoy the complete transformation of your truck.