Turbo removal project

gandalf

Reaction score
The project in question is the removal of the old Banks nonwastegated turbo from my '86 truck.

The project is going much slower than I had hoped. I've got to spend some of each day with my daughter and the grandsons. After all, thats the more important thing. But mainly, the weather has not been conducive to working on the truck. We've had quite a bit of fog, pretty good wind, and rain most days. -cuss I don't work outside in the rain.

I think I've hit a significant problem. It may bring me to a screaching halt, or it may cause me to have to leave the Banks Y pipe on the truck.

I've got a Banks Y pipe, a pipe going up to the turbo intake, and the downpipe. When I went to undo the exhaust clamps today, I found that the Y pipe and the up pipe, leading to the turbo, were welded just below the clamp on the driver's side, beside the transmission, where things start to get narrow. -cuss I haven't taken a good look at the down pipe yet.

Is this going to be a problem? Must they come apart in order to come off the truck? Am I screwed? I suspect there is a flange at the top of the pipe, where it connects to the turbo, whish may not fit through the narrow gap to remove downward.

What are my options? Any suggestions?

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
the one i removed i had to start at the bottom and work up.
sounds like things just got complicated :mad:
do you have a extra banks y-pipe kicking around,if so we need to talk :angel: :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to remember how the early Banks up pipe looked. Can't you just unhook the pipe from the turbo and manifolds, and pull it out from the bottom? If not, maybe you can cut the pipe in a good spot that would allow you to put it back together with a band clamp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online