turbo rebuild

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally determined that my turbo is bad went to the local diesel shop they want 400 cookoo just to take it off so my question is how hard is it to rebuild one of these and what tools are needed to do so any advice is helpfull thanks

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say pull the turbo yourself and then send it to a turbo & injection shop either local or mail order. I'd be wary of doing it myself unless you really know what you're doing.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i wasnt goin to do it my self unless someone on here said it wouldnt be very hard to do thanks for the advice

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo rebuild is not hard. Well getting it apart could be. The main thing is that if it's screwed up badly you're probably going to get it done cheaper than you can do yourself. Plus it has to be clean enough to eat out of prior to reassembly.

Whichever route you go good luck.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am going to need the luck the way its been going here latly in the past 8 months i have driven the truck @ 5 days out of it and it used to be the dd but thanx for the advice i will probably take it off and have it done somewhere

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doing a rebuild on a good turbo is no big deal, if the bolts come out. But if there is something wrong with it then it is better to have it done for you, or do a core exchange.
JwS

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was yours doing that made you think it is bad? I am trying to determine if mine is working right.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it still holds @ 8 psi but the compressor wheel looks like something went through it and you can push the shaft anywere you want it... the wheel dosent rub the housing anywhere but it is deffinately not good

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got ya. Mine feels like its tight. I have a couple worn spots on the wheel but not that bad. I need to get a boost gauge cause mine just don't feel like its making much.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correction mine did hold 8 psi now its hit or miss sometimes it works sometimes it dosent just started that today