Turbo Questions

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Is it possible to use a stock turbo from a 12v Cummins on a 6.9 engine? I found one for a decent price, i think! :dunno

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your gonna fab the pipes yourself then yes it is possible, I plan to do the same thing on my 6.9 when I get it up and rolling.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the max boost with that turbo? Could be too much for the high compression IDI? :dunno :dunno :dunno

Like stated above, you will have to fab all the plumbing, but it might work great. You'll have to let us know what you find if you try this out.;Sweet

Heath

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a thread some time ago about this, and it was stated that the 1st gen cummins turbo(dont remember what one) was Ideal for one of our engines from comparing turbo maps. I also brought this up in a therad called "Turbo Idea" Do a search and see if anything in that will help.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think that the first gen Holset turbo should be fine, because I heard they push around 15psi stock. 15psi max for a stock 5.9 liter engine should net you a something like 12psi max for a 6.9/7.3 liter engine, but that is just basic thinking that is probably wrong. You need to be albe to do a lot of fab work if you are actually going to do this.