turbo? or cummins

IHOlRed

Reaction score
so i am debating on whether it is worth it to turbo my engine "7.3" or save up and get a cummins. not sure if my current engine is weak or not but it downshifts a lot on the highway and i need more power. wondering on what your input is and im sure most are IDI lovers but would like your opinion

If i should turbo it is there a way to tell if i have pinholes in the 7 and 8 cylinder walls besides pullin the heads like checkin the compression. what should the compression be for a good motor.

the truck has 225000

jmono

Reaction score
My plan is to run my idi until I get the funds for a cummins swap. More power and just as reliable as a idi. Plus swaps aren't really that hard. Just my .02 goodluck.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
so i am debating on whether it is worth it to turbo my engine "7.3" or save up and get a cummins. not sure if my current engine is weak or not but it downshifts a lot on the highway and i need more power. wondering on what your input is and im sure most are IDI lovers but would like your opinion

If i should turbo it is there a way to tell if i have pinholes in the 7 and 8 cylinder walls besides pullin the heads like checkin the compression. what should the compression be for a good motor.

the truck has 225000

Skip the Cummins, put a DT in that thing. 360-466ci, wet liners, 600hp capable with pump mods and a turbo. ;burnout Try that with a B series!
Properly diagnose the issues with the current settup, do the pump and injectors if they haven't been done already and have it tuned properly. If you tow heavy all the time, or you are just a power hungry beast, do the engine swap. Most of us that like the IDI's know that unless you are willing to put the time and $$$$$$$$ in, it'll never run like a mildly modded B series Cummins nor be as reliable.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, they need a lot of engine work to even get close and even at that the fuel economy and power may not be quite as good. I'd say your current engine is fine but pump and injectors could be suspect at this point as could that E4OD

IHOlRed

Reaction score
does anyone have a link to someone who sells the conversion kit

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skip the Cummins, put a DT in that thing. 360-466ci, wet liners, 600hp capable with pump mods and a turbo. ;burnout Try that with a B series!
Properly diagnose the issues with the current settup, do the pump and injectors if they haven't been done already and have it tuned properly. If you tow heavy all the time, or you are just a power hungry beast, do the engine swap. Most of us that like the IDI's know that unless you are willing to put the time and $$$$$$$$ in, it'll never run like a mildly modded B series Cummins nor be as reliable.

whats a DT?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
International DT series DT 360, 466, 530 and HT 570. Found in a lot of school buses and medium duty straight trucks. I have been told the 360 and 466 are the same block. The main issue is the length getting them to physically fit. There are mechanically injected and electronically controlled models. A very long and mostly good history. Runs an inline pump and like the Cummins could probably be tuned for huge HP or great fuel economy or a compromise. If I knew I could make it fit I wouldn't hesitate to use one, though in stock trim neither the 360 nor the 466 make jaw dropping #s.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah, ok. well with the price of a cummins pullout now those engines may be considerably cheaper? id imagine they are goverened down so much that they are almost ballless is there an aftermarket for them?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a turbo on it. Much cheaper, easier, will make you surprised at how much better it is. :dunno

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
ah, ok. well with the price of a cummins pullout now those engines may be considerably cheaper? id imagine they are goverened down so much that they are almost ballless is there an aftermarket for them?

IH DT series engines are a challenge to put in a pickup, but they are priced right and the extra strength and displacement make it a good candidate. nevrenufhp knows how to turn them up on the cheap; there's a thread that got started a week or so ago by a gentleman who needed to get a few more ponies out of his DT466 powered truck, and it was very informative. Even had pics of a DT466 powered F series pickup that is a sled puller; fit in there really well, the radiator placement was in the bed. To do a traditional mounting, you have to doghouse the firewall.
The virtues far outweigh the difficulty, especially when you use the truck to haul heavy. It only takes pump mods and a turbo to get to nearly 600hp, pop in some high flow injectors and compound turbo the thing and you have a 1000hp. This is before you go into the motor. Big thanks to nevrenufhp for the information.;Sweet
As far as how hard it is to mod them, it's actually easy; the same pump mods that work on a P pumped Cummins work on any diesel that has the same style injection system, just be careful with the tune (the 6.6/7.8 Brazilian Ford diesels for example are very sensitive to too much timing). The effect, though, is more dramatic because of the size of the DT.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online