Turbo not lining up?

mightykp

Reaction score
Completed swap from non turbo 91 E-350 to a turbo idi 94 f-350. Engine in, tranny completed (thanks forum) and at the final step...
exhaust pipes fit snugly and turbo sits fine with all pipes except the final intake manifold, swirling pipe that connects to the turbo outlet.
We're off by a good 1-2 inches.
is the van different from the truck? Why is not aligned? I'm certain that the turbo and exhaust pipes all sit correctly. And the final intake pipe to engine will sit correctly, but doesn't mate with turbo.
Help or ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I am not an expert on turbos by any means, but I do know the turbo kits for a van are different than a turbo kit for an f-series truck. I am not sure what the difference is, but I would imagine the vans were tighter on space, so it is probably more compact in some way.

Rock

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't look too far off to me, if I recall correctly you need to put the intake snail on the turbo BEFORE you bolt the turbo to the piping. You cannot slide the intake snail into place without unbolting the turbo now.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't look too far off to me, if I recall correctly you need to put the intake snail on the turbo BEFORE you bolt the turbo to the piping. You cannot slide the intake snail into place without unbolting the turbo now.
This is true and a total PITA.

Yes but I don't know if you can get to all the bolts with the turbo on the engine. Doesn't look like it needs to be clocked to me. Especially if everything was lined up correctly on the old engine.
Agreed. Clocking won't help even if you wanted to, there still won't be clearance to get it into the snail. I guess you could loosen the compressor housing and remove the snail then would likely be able to get the snail back down after that then tighten the housing. BUT, IIRC there is an oring in that housing and clocking it without lube is a good way to ***** the oring so be careful. If it's possible to get all the bolts. I think it is, just another PITA.

Last edited:

mightykp

Reaction score
So, disconnect the down pipe, unbolt the 4 turbo exhaust bolts, and the 2 turbo nuts beneath?
Ouch. BUT if it works, then yes.
It seems so far off, that I worry the down pipe and other connections won't align after I put the snail cap back on...
I wonder if a large flex pipe of some time might work?
Is the truck and van engine that different over the years... that the turbo doesn't fit. Or did I make a correctable misstep?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking about clocking it if it still doesn’t line up after attaching to turbo to set in place.

gandalf

Reaction score
Van vs truck-- I seem to recall that the driver's side exhaust manifold is different on the van, not the same as on the truck. That may be the cause of your problems. Just a guess, something to consider as a possibility.

mightykp

Reaction score
Yes,
the exhaust manifold was swapped. So I don't think that's the issue. Order of installation was off, I guess, and I'll re-do it, but the angle seems so far off. I was checking to see if maybe the van/truck intakes were different before I disconnect everything... at least this time the bolts won't be frozen from 1994.
Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online