Turbo IDI bolt-on performance

JohnDeStef

addicted
Reaction score
Greetings guys, I'm really soaking in your site. Thanks for all of the serious information on the IDI's.

I'm also on FourDoorBronco.com, I came here for perfomance info for my '93 Banks turbo IDI w/ 4.11s, Banks exhaust, and TransCommand.

The thing is a dog pulling on the interstate above 65mph (if I can even maintain that speed).

An intercooler is going to be my first mod. Probably a Hypermax piping kit w/ an aftermarket intercooler. Hopefully a cold air intake/filter box through the driver's fender.

After that, I'm also looking at:
1. ARP bolts w/o pulling the heads. I've been reading the thread on that, and it seems that fella's cyl heads are holding tight............?

2. Removing the Banks exhaust muffler. Someone on here mentioned they love the sound of a non-muffler'd turbo IDI.

3. Moose or DPS pump and injectors. Which leads me to a CL ad. A fella has a DPS pump and injectors for sale......

I was wondering what y'all thought about this CL ad, and my other planned mods?

........the ad......... and his email response to my inquiry........

1990 Ford 7.3 IDI Diesel engine and Banks Sidewinder Turbo and more
Date: 2009-08-19, 9:53AM

1990 Ford 7.3 IDI Diesel engine and Banks Sidewinder Turbo kit, DPS turbo matched pump and injectors and more for sale.

-----------------------

Hi, do you still have the parts listed in the Craigslist ad?

I'd like to know how much for the DPS pump and injectors, shipped to SW Florida zip 33907?

Thank you!
John DeStefano

------------------------

This pump/injectors had less than 10k miles on it. My motor blew a head gasket. And I am going with a cummins conversion.

DPS wants 450 for the pump and 30-60 for each injector. I got the brand new 65 dollar injectors. But a person could have done it with rebuilts for about 35 each.
So I think it is about 600 in parts minimum.
Asking 500 + shipping.
Shipping should not be more than 40.
Think of it like I am getting my money back from the pump, selling you one injector for 50 bucks, giving you 7 injectors for free, saving tax.

I also have the stock pump and injectors, as I did not use mine as a core.
I will also send those for another 100 bucks, good for future exchange with DPS for some hot rod core or more serious pump. This stock pump is turned up and the injectors were flow improved by another shop. They don't make a tom of power but run good with a non turbo set up.

Thanks
Make me an offer, I might have some interest in the banks sidewinder turbo setup so splitting it up is looking more doable.

----------------------

Thanks for taking the time to help me! Great site, I'm glad to be a part of it. ;Sweet

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read up on the DPS stuff other users have tried. Agnem and myself sell new injectors matched sets. I have a good stock rebuild on my pump and it flows all the fuel I can use at this time. The Moose pump is the real place to spend money.
I got a piping kit off ebay and used a PS intercooler and it works well. I alsi have 3 inch inlet intake hats available for IC plumbing
Sounds like your timing might be off a bit or your pump is worn, that truck should roll down the highway, check for full throttle.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you seeing for boost and EGT's? Have you adjusted the wastegate or unhooked it all together (I have :sly)? The DPS IP has been a good performer for me, but the injectors from there are not a quality product. I've replaced them with Moose injectors. My DPS injectors opened quite early at only 1200 -1300 psi, they leaked fuel prior to popping, and there was no spray pattern or atomization of fuel.......just a ******* stream of diesel.:puke:

How much have you turned up the fuel on your IP? How old are the IP and injectors? Have you had the truck properly timed to 8.5 degrees BTDC? Timing and properly functioning IP and injectors make a big difference.

Honestly, I could use more fuel that what I'm getting from my DPS IP. It is maxed out on the fuel screw and I can only see 800-900 on the pyro. With my wastegate disabled I can peg the boost gauge to 15 psi (at least on the dyno), but I rarely see that with normal use. But, the boost builds quicker and I can see a very usuable 10-12 psi when needed.

Personally I'd go to Mel (Agnem) for a Moose pump and a set of new Delphi BB codes or if you have the money, spring for a set of Moose injectors. The intercooler is a good idea as well.

That C350 is freak'n sweet by the way!

Heath

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
That's a good looking rig you have there. I'd do the pump, injectors and give it an excellent timing job first before doing anything else. A truck that nice shouldn't be strollin' so slow.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a full set of low milage DPS injectors I'm looking to part ways with, and they will go CHEAP. In case nobody noticed, the Moose Truck is Moose Mister equipped and has been for several weeks. ;) Love em!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A turbocharged 7.3 IDI that bogs above 65 MPH??? Somethings wrong!!

Are you towing a big load? what size?

How old is your injector pump?

What boost pressures are you seeing?

What EGT levels are you seeing?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
In case nobody noticed, the Moose Truck is Moose Mister equipped and has been for several weeks. ;) Love em!

Seen em in action and still wake up at night in a cold sweat.:sly

Still waiting for that pic to show up. That day I saw the Moose truck, it reminded me of Frank the combine off Cars.:love:

JohnDeStef

addicted
Reaction score
Guys, THANK YOU for the compliments on my rig. It is a lot of fun, albeit a money pit.

I pull a dual axle enclosed trailer, loaded up with cabinets and body shop equipment. I own a mobile body shop business, and paint bumpers ect. in the dealership's back parking lots. I'm guessimating the trailer to be 4000lbs.

I have not checked the timing since I've owned it...... (4yrs). Boost is good, 9-11lbs max. EGTs are rarely above 700 when pulling w/ OD usually on (off when going over interchange ramps) they're usually around 600.

The whole engine assembly is factory original, untouched, with 136,000 miles. I've done the fan clutch, a/c compressor, brake master, fuel return lines, water pump ect, ect.. Check out my Supermotors site for the full, long list of mods and repairs. I paid 11 delivered for the rig, from the original owner in OR w/ 80K on it. Now I have more than that back into it in mods and repairs.

:rotflmao

Sounds like I should hit the timing first, then move to a Moose w/ injectors.
Anybody got a pump and injectors I can get to send to Agnem? Whaddya think about those DPS injectors you got Agnem?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
dont even waste your time with the dps injectors unless you dont mind your fuel bill goin way up it sounds like you got plenty of room to crank the pump up with those egts

JohnDeStef

addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Agnem. I'm considering the options. I'll probably go Baby Moose. Do you need a turbo IP core or would a non-turbo work? I suppose the better condition of the pump, the cheaper the rebuild will be?

Could y'all give me a place to get the best delivered price on ARP head bolts? I've got valve cover gaskets to do, so while I'm in there..............

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pump core is not critical, other than just being in the best condition possible, to avoid additional parts and machining costs.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see ya here.

Folks, his truck was the inspiration for Hidalgo.. if you noticed (paid attention) my crew was his cosmetic equivalent...