Turbo decisions

Bakersk896

Reaction score
So Project F-100 Super Duty is underway with new axles and suspension. Now comes the most meticulous part.

Building the engine

The most difficult decision is the turbo(s). I remember having a short conversation with @Thewespaul but something didn’t seem to stick. The advantages of parallel turbos seem to keep knocking at my door. With a cam that makes up for the poor factory event timing, the relatively small single turbo that is normally used can be replaced with a larger one or two moderate parallels which would match with the advances in the IP’s that Classic Diesel Design is building.

Does anyone have any numbers or experience with the IDI’s and different turbo setups? And has anyone other than R&D built a cam that has any recordable gains?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
While a big company like Comp may be willing to custom make a cam, I doubt that they have anything listed that's already made for our IDIs. There just wasn't that many made compared to the gas engines that are WAY more common. There's also a much smaller group of people who are interested in a cam for an IDI. Don't be too disappointed if they tell you no.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
So Project F-100 Super Duty is underway with new axles and suspension. Now comes the most meticulous part.

Building the engine

The most difficult decision is the turbo(s). I remember having a short conversation with @Thewespaul but something didn’t seem to stick. The advantages of parallel turbos seem to keep knocking at my door. With a cam that makes up for the poor factory event timing, the relatively small single turbo that is normally used can be replaced with a larger one or two moderate parallels which would match with the advances in the IP’s that Classic Diesel Design is building.

Does anyone have any numbers or experience with the IDI’s and different turbo setups? And has anyone other than R&D built a cam that has any recordable gains?

Oregon Cam Grinding has a bump stick for these engines that is an improvement over stock grind to work with a turbo. usually in stock for a buck or so. Really happy with it for the last couple years...