Decisions.....Decisions.....35's or 37's??

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
Check the rear driveline slipjoint @full droop while both tires are suspended and have someone bounce each tire.
My d.l. guy says absolute minimum engagement should be 1 1/2".
Simply measure from a fixed point above the splines to the collar at droop, then pull apart (after marking index) and measure to end of splines, then do math...
And nows a good time to clean and regrease it:Thumbs Up

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man, where to begin, lol. I pretty much rebuilt, and overbuilt everything you possibly can. Went with the custom ALCAN springs, they are AWESOME, by the way. Everything else is pretty much from Sky's Off Road Design. Shackle flip in the front was achieved with Sky's 2" RFK kit with custom shackles, shackle flip in the rear was achieved with Sky's spring hanger and rear shackle flip kit, the spring hangers are their 5" models, they pair perfectly with the front 2" RFK kit. Total lift in the front is 4 1/4", total in the rear is right around 6" to 6 1/4", when you factor in the springs. Went with Sky's dual shock towers in the front and fox shocks, new U-Bolt plates for the dual shocks, new U-Bolts, and all new hardware. Custom rear blocks with overload tabs from PMF in the back, went with 3" blocks down from the factory 4" blocks, wanted to achieve as much of my lift as possible through spring, spring hanger, and shackle flip. New 3/8" thick top plates and 3/4" thick U-Bolts both from PMF. Fox shocks in the rear as well. Extended brake lines all around. Fully rebuilt both the front and rear axles, all bearings, races, and seals replaced. Went from the factory 3.55 gears to 4.10 gears. Did a Yukon master rebuild kit in the rear diff, as well as Yukon ring and pinion, and an Eaton Detroit Truetrac locker as well as a Ballistic Fabrication 3/8" thick welded steel diff cover. Did a Nitro Gear master rebuild kit in the front diff, as well as Nitro Gear ring and pinion. Went with Nitro in the front instead of Yukon because they offer a slightly upsized ring gear that is stronger than stock, the quality was amazing, every bit as good as Yukon. Once again, did an Eaton Detroit Truetrac locker in the front diff, and a Ballistic Fabrication diff cover. Also upgraded the steering to the Carrick Customs Dana 60 OBS HD Steering Kit, it is MINT. I feel like I am forgetting some things, but you get the idea. I am debating going with a set of traction bars from either Sky's, or Carrick Customs.....I just want to speak with them, and see it it will make my ride harsher. The truck rides like a dream right now, and is amazing. I would like to run the traction bars if possible, to minimize the wear on my rear springs, as well as eliminate wheel hop that I get under certain conditions. Not sure if the bars would be a problem off road, but I am thinking not, because of how they are designed. I really did my homework, and I was more than pleased with the result. I had it built up in my head that it would turn out pretty damn good, and it exceeded my expectations for sure. Oh, I also did a custom front driveshaft from JE Reel Driveline, it's a double cardan with 1410 yokes.....MINT
Man you did go all out!! that is great. I am glad to hear it is working out like you had planned. nothing worse than spending a boat load of money and it not working out the way you want. Hope it serves you well for years to come.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is 35 is the largest tire I would run with 3.55s
If running 37s go 4.10s that will be effectively the same ratio as 3.55s and 33s

With 3.55s and 35s yes it drops 100 rpm but the motor does have to work harder because you are pushing more surface area down the road, at the same point if is mainly used offroad put 35s and roll with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online