Turbo Charging

bigdummy

Reaction score
Just don't do it, (the banks), I did before I learned better and I am so sorry! Don't get me wrong, a turbo setup is great just buy it from someone who will stand behind their product and provide support, (not to mention upgrades) in the future. Follow these guys advise here and you won't go wrong! My two cents...

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just don't do it, (the banks), I did before I learned better and I am so sorry! Don't get me wrong, a turbo setup is great just buy it from someone who will stand behind their product and provide support, (not to mention upgrades) in the future. Follow these guys advise here and you won't go wrong! My two cents...
I've only had one interaction with Banks and it was positive. Needed the replacement grommet/seal for the oil drain line going into the valley pan. They shipped me two for free.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wrote to Banks for a sidewinder turbo rebuild kit. They told me they wouldn't do anything but sell me a new turbo. No parts? No way I'll buy from them.
That sucks... Mine is in good shape so I haven't asked for anything major. I thought I read somewhere that the actual turbo core was not made by Banks and parts can be obtained from third parties... Not sure though, it's been a while since I researched it.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks... Mine is in good shape so I haven't asked for anything major. I thought I read somewhere that the actual turbo core was not made by Banks and parts can be obtained from third parties... Not sure though, it's been a while since I researched it.
The 'current' wastegated banks kit uses a TE06H turbo. It's also good for no more than 250 RWHP; ~200 normally. Fine for a stock IP; not for anything bigger.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gather that's a Mitsubishi te06h. If you search for the Mitsu instead of the Banks, rebuild kits are available on fleabay for under $100, but who knows what you're getting.

Macrobb, you're saying that's the `current' turbo? Was there an older Sidewinder for our trucks that was different? How can I tell which is on my old 6.9?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what the turbo is based off of, with bank’s proprietary wheels. The older sidewinder is also proprietary but based off the Garrett T series turbos like the ATS kits and easily upgradable, you can actually unbolt the first gen banks compressor housing and wheel, and bolt on an ATS 093/IDIT wheel and compressor housing for a cheap but significant upgrade.