turbo alternative

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys beat me up for this one thats why i'm posting it.

i was thinking cookoo could a person install some form of blower to force more air down the intake like a turbo does but do it with a electric fan of some sort? :dunno

just a thought. adjusting the boost pressure would be a trick to figure out though.

ok start beating me up over this one now.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sure it can be done, but it is far from simple. You could use a roots type blower with electric motors, but you would need at least 10hp of motor to make that work, you owuld need several batteries i think ten to have multiple uses per car trip even with the alternator trickle charging the batts. that and a fair bit of hardware to modulate the motor to keep it from burning out. www.boosthead.com has a few kits built.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is sort of the problem you get any time you try to invent a perpetual energy device. The power you need to drive it will amost certainly draw as much as it produces if not more. The belt driven blowers are about the best, but they are certainly parasitic. The turbo is hard to beat because the energy is truely "free" in that you have expanding gases that are going to expand if there is anything there to make use of them or not. Consider it hydroelectric power for your engine. Anything else you come up with is not going to be as efficient.

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is sort of the problem you get any time you try to invent a perpetual energy device. The power you need to drive it will amost certainly draw as much as it produces if not more. The belt driven blowers are about the best, but they are certainly parasitic. The turbo is hard to beat because the energy is truely "free" in that you have expanding gases that are going to expand if there is anything there to make use of them or not. Consider it hydroelectric power for your engine. Anything else you come up with is not going to be as efficient.

Stupid physics...

mR

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually a belt driven blower require around 10% of the crank power... Now think about that and look into what the top fuel motors are driving... Thats around 8000+ hp.. So the blower is sucking up around 800+ hp off the crank... Thats around 5 running idi motors just to turn the blower....:eek::eek::eek:

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Your not as crazy as one of my old customers. He had a pair of electric turbos put on a chevy lumina minivan. What a POS. He had it hooked to a WOT switch, He was always going thru the switching controllers and stuff. He had me put a turbo with alcohol injection on a 1300cc suzuki swift ricer car. The electric motor thing is possible ....but not practical.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted the idea mainly cause it popped into my head and seemed like a crazy idea but thought I'd see just how crazy it sounded.
I agree it would likely take more energy to run the blower than would benefit. I'd turbo my motor first cause the engineering has already been done.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw the same idea in one of my son's "rice" magazines. I actuall thought about something like that myself. "Crazy" ideas is why we have the technology we have today. Imagine how nuts a turbo first sounded. Or, OMG vegatable oil in your deisel!!!??? LOL!!

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric "superchargers" are junk.

Someone posted the technical data a long time ago- basically, to run one of those big enough to have any benefit, you would almost need dual alternators and several batteries, and it would put a very large load on your electrical system. Not even worth it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a spring wound supercharger, that would provide engine brakeing when you stop, and then as you accelerate you could cut it loose creating a ton of boost for about 3 seconds. LOL

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it practical no....is it nuts..not really
nuts was a guy I knew back in the old school car audio days....he swore that by running his subs facing the back and leaving his trunk open he could increase his milage (due to the amount of air movement "pushing" the car). we just wont go there.

mel - why not just mount a small aircraft turbine motor on the hood and duct it down....yeah it would burn some fuel, but you would be redefining forced induction

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might work. Only downside would be the exhuast displacing good oxygen.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imagine how nuts a turbo first sounded. Or, OMG vegatable oil in your deisel!!!??? LOL!!

The Diesel guy(forgot his first name) who invented the diesel engine, designed it to run on peanut oil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online