Trustworthy repair shops in OR?

Zion

Reaction score
My will to keep this truck operational has now passed my ability to repair, or even diagnose, the issues it has. With that being said, I’m in search of a good repair shop (hopefully somewhat near Corvallis). The truck’s got definite problems, and to be honest, I know I won’t be able to figure them out without some expensive trial-and-error. I think it’s for the best that I approach a shop and let someone who knows a lot more than I do take a look at it. If anyone has some recommendations, I’d greatly appreciate the info.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Godspeed
Hit the hall of shame yet?
In today's climate, I hope someone local to you chimes in.
These guy's are purty good at "Remote Diagnosis" ....
Perhaps post the issue's so we can offer help (if you can do the work) a fair amount of issues have been hashed out online for the win.

Zion

Reaction score
Godspeed
Hit the hall of shame yet?
In today's climate, I hope someone local to you chimes in.
These guy's are purty good at "Remote Diagnosis" ....
Perhaps post the issue's so we can offer help (if you can do the work) a fair amount of issues have been hashed out online for the win.
I’ve hit this forum more times than I’d like to admit with my issues. Right now, the engine is getting percussive and there’s quite a few symptoms of valve train issues. On top of that, the BW 4SPD that’s in it has 0 synchros. 1st and 3rd will auto-eject the gear lever the second you let out the clutch. I already replaced the IP in the dorm parking lot, and there’s no way I’d be able to pull heads or drop a trans without a shop.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Russ lives in the Portland area, If he does not see this, shoot him an E-Mail and maybe he can direct you to a good shop, or have answers to your questions.

Heck, I don`t know good shops in my area, most will tell it is too old, they only work on the newer stuff.
That is what the local Diesel shop told me when I had the Oil Cooler problem. Finally did it my self.

Goat

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Hay Zion, it driveable at all? Dorm...you out here going to school?
Why don't you post what you got, that help us help you.
EX: year, 6.9/7.3, 2wheel or 4x4, etc, etc
And yes, get ahold of Russ....email or private message. I wish he'd move next door to me so I could have knowledge & help.... that man is smart!!! LOL LOL

BTW, I live over here in Redmond about 130-150mi east of Corvallis & am in process of getting my 40x64 shop built..... but it be couple mo before I can get it up tho...

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposedly moving to the Springfield/Eugene area come the new year, and would be glad to help if that all comes together (even have a good 4spd laying around).

Zion

Reaction score

Russ lives in the Portland area, If he does not see this, shoot him an E-Mail and maybe he can direct you to a good shop, or have answers to your questions.

Heck, I don`t know good shops in my area, most will tell it is too old, they only work on the newer stuff.
That is what the local Diesel shop told me when I had the Oil Cooler problem. Finally did it my self.

Goat
I’ve spoken with Russ and he’s certainly an ideal resource for help, but without a shop, there is not much that can be done. I could wait and try to fix it myself over winter break, but there’s no guarantee the truck will make it back to Iowa.

Zion

Reaction score
Hay Zion, it driveable at all? Dorm...you out here going to school?
Why don't you post what you got, that help us help you.
EX: year, 6.9/7.3, 2wheel or 4x4, etc, etc
And yes, get ahold of Russ....email or private message. I wish he'd move next door to me so I could have knowledge & help.... that man is smart!!! LOL LOL

BTW, I live over here in Redmond about 130-150mi east of Corvallis & am in process of getting my 40x64 shop built..... but it be couple mo before I can get it up tho...
1984 F250 4X4 BW 4SPD. Not sure which trim package it was as the badges are gone, but it does have cruise control. I’m at OSU, but can’t remember why for the life of me.

The truck operates for now, but you can tell it’s not happy. I’m starting to hear some percussive sounds on the driver side of the upper end. Can’t tell if it’s valve related, but the odd sounds in both exhaust and intake sure sounds like valves. Haven’t been losing coolant, but there has been oil loss. I believe it’s the CDR, seems to be an sporadic misting of oil sprayed onto the lines and wires behind the intake.

Have been waiting on a response from Russ, so there’s not much else to do beyond random review checks on local shops. Lined up a ZF5, ATS 088 turbo, and 7.3 heads off another IDI, but won’t be able to do anything with them until I can find a place to get the work done, regardless of whether or not it’s me or a shop. I’d appreciate any help I can get, but I’d hate to impose. Especially since my plan of solvency is missing some key parts as of right now

Zion

Reaction score
Supposedly moving to the Springfield/Eugene area come the new year, and would be glad to help if that all comes together (even have a good 4spd laying around).
I might have to take you up on that offer, although I am preparing to move on some drivetrain upgrades. Regardless, I’ll certainly get into contact with you if/when the opportunity comes along

gfemling

Reaction score
1984 F250 4X4 BW 4SPD. Not sure which trim package it was as the badges are gone, but it does have cruise control. I’m at OSU, but can’t remember why for the life of me.

The truck operates for now, but you can tell it’s not happy. I’m starting to hear some percussive sounds on the driver side of the upper end. Can’t tell if it’s valve related, but the odd sounds in both exhaust and intake sure sounds like valves. Haven’t been losing coolant, but there has been oil loss. I believe it’s the CDR, seems to be an sporadic misting of oil sprayed onto the lines and wires behind the intake.

Have been waiting on a response from Russ, so there’s not much else to do beyond random review checks on local shops. Lined up a ZF5, ATS 088 turbo, and 7.3 heads off another IDI, but won’t be able to do anything with them until I can find a place to get the work done, regardless of whether or not it’s me or a shop. I’d appreciate any help I can get, but I’d hate to impose. Especially since my plan of solvency is missing some key parts as of right now
A couple of comments- I had similar issue with BW T-19 4 spd which turned out to be very worn large main shaft bearing and with that problem, driving it to Iowa is not an option; maybe trailering but not under its own power I believe.
And original engine is 6.9; the 7.3 heads you say you have lined up won’t work on 6.9- sorry.
And you say you changed injector pump- did your “percussion” issues start after that? Perhaps injector timing is off?
Good luck!!

Zion

Reaction score
A couple of comments- I had similar issue with BW T-19 4 spd which turned out to be very worn large main shaft bearing and with that problem, driving it to Iowa is not an option; maybe trailering but not under its own power I believe.
And original engine is 6.9; the 7.3 heads you say you have lined up won’t work on 6.9- sorry.
And you say you changed injector pump- did your “percussion” issues start after that? Perhaps injector timing is off?
Good luck!!
I'm certain the transmission has been legally dead for quite some time. It has a tendency to spit the gear stick out of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd if you do not accelerate. For the most part, I have to rev-match up to 3rd, then double-clutch to get into 4th. If normal shifting is attempted, the trans goes on offense. I had read something about the cylinder head compatibility requiring a re-sizing of the head studs, but I was mostly interested in using as many valve-train components as possible, given the current guides/heads are not fatally damaged. I had intended to replace the injectors ASAP post-injection pump swap, but no reputable builders had any in stock. I would not be surprised if it was injector knock, but timing is certainly an issue. I bought the pump at OFI, and was going to have it timed there, but they're backed up until after new-years I believe.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know of two diesel shops in the Scappose area and neither one is worth a spit.
Supposedly there is a wonderful Ford guy out on Deer Island, but your not close enough to any of it being down in "Animal House" land.
Me? i would have to contact "Oregon Fuel Injection" in Springfield and see what they have to recommend. They have a great rep for building pumps etc. I don't know if they work on trucks or just a rebuild shop but i would have to start there in your area.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck!!
Why will the 7.3 heads not work? Sure they will. Just open up water jackets at corners & use sleeves at the headbolt holes.

Remember, if your 6.9 block is the original, block heater hole over starter may be cracked. Check it.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In salem Dave's Power could probably handle it, and there are at least one machine shop nearby that could likely service the heads.

DP is always backed up though so expect it to take weeks+++.

There is or was, not sure now, an international shop on I-5 near hwy34, never dealt with them but another International shop still had some guys familiar with IDIs, never had them do anything though other than get coolant, return line Orings, and maybe injector copper washers from them. International designed them so those shops may still be willing and able to help.

There are quite a few members around the I-5 you might be able to hire out including Russ if he is able to. He's by Newberg I think. I haven't worked with him in many years but he was a great source for turbo and injector/return stuff back then, but either was too busy or had life stuff where he couldn't help with my specific issues. I don't really recall now, it's been so long.

These jobs always seem daunting, you'd want a driveway and small garage space to DIY it, you could rent a month at a storage unit for less than an hour or two of a mechanics time... I swapped my engine out in a weekend after scoring a UHaul reman after I went through it and prepped and converted and overhauled it from sitting in storage, and being a van style engine I had to swap exhaust manifolds and oil cooler ears. I did that in a driveway fighting to get the cherry picker in place without it tipping or rolling away, with barely enough room for my supplies in the garage in a weekend in the rare Oregon Valley snowstorms. It was raining on a Friday and sticking Saturday as I had the front end tore apart. Had to get it done. If I can do that with never having pulled an engine, you could pull the heads and drop them off to a machinist for a rebuild, and pull the trans out and swap or drop it off, there's a few dedicated transmission shops around and the 4 speed is super simple. I never tried it but I think you could pull the driveline off the transmission or 4x4, jack up a transmission jack under it, and unbolt the 4 or 6 bolts from the engine. Not sure, ask these guys they'll know. If you let fear of the unknown stop you you'll never do it. If you can afford a mechanic have at it, I'm guessing both jobs would be about half the value of your truck in good shape.

Good luck.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant offer any ideas on who to take your truck to, but reading through the thread i saw you used Oregon Fuel injection. If I recall correctly I believe there has been a few members who have had problems using their IPs and injectors. I could be wrong, but the name seems to ring some bell in my head.