Truck is not starting

ropen699

Reaction score
My truck is a 92 ford f250 and it does not start. I checked under the hood with a multi meter and all is good. I tried starting it with a screw driver by touching it to one post of the starting solenoid (I think thats what it is called) and then touching the screw driver to the other post of the solenoid and it did start. So I think it is some where in the steering console. My speedometer and odometer also went out. It happened when I started the truck with the screw driver. Do you guys have any ideas on how i can get it to start with the key and how to get speedometer and odometer working. Thanks

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
In the words of porky pig, blep blep blep ah$hit!. check all the fuses under the dash and under the hood if they are all good.Pull the single wire connecting to your starting solenoid it should be red or blue. it will have a bullet style connector. Ground your test light and put the probe in it and have someone try to start the truck via the key. If your test light has power coming through that connection then your problem is elsewhere. If no power comes down when the key is started then you need to start tracing wires to see if one is burned up or shorting to ground.