Truck bed camper thoughts.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's not too bad looking. If you were going to buy a newer one, I'd suggest one that is a "Hi/Lo" or a pop up (different names for the same thing) to help get better fuel mileage. I bought a 1967 slide in although I haven't got to use it yet (engine overhaul got in the way). Here's what I noticed while bringing it home. At the time, my timing was way too advanced. It wasn't very windy and the truck did fine going along at 60 MPH. I could barely tell that it was back there. When I crossed the state line back into Kansas, the speed limit changed to 65. I could tell a huge difference then. It had a lack of power just from the extra wind resistance. It will do better now since Thewespaul set my timing while I was visiting him. The truck is my 1985 F250 Ex cab with a N/A 7.3, zf5 and 3.55 gears. The camper (i assume) was built for a regular cab truck. The wind would swirl down to my cab roof, that the roof would push down and then spring back up with a loud "BOING!". I'm going to have a local aluminum welder build a spoiler to direct the air up and over the camper before I take it out again. This will keep the roof on place and also will help with fuel mileage. My truck doesn't have any antisway bars and it did feel slightly top heavy going around turns, but not dangerously so. I'm fine with it how it is. It's not a sports car by any stretch of the imagination.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Not entirely sure on that. But it is posted in the rules.
I guess you can copy some of the info and pics and post that up?

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The person selling said they have custom welded tie downs. They have a newer f250. How much of a issue will this be fitting to my truck?. It would hurt to buy 800$ in tie downs.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not too bad looking. If you were going to buy a newer one, I'd suggest one that is a "Hi/Lo" or a pop up (different names for the same thing) to help get better fuel mileage. I bought a 1967 slide in although I haven't got to use it yet (engine overhaul got in the way). Here's what I noticed while bringing it home. At the time, my timing was way too advanced. It wasn't very windy and the truck did fine going along at 60 MPH. I could barely tell that it was back there. When I crossed the state line back into Kansas, the speed limit changed to 65. I could tell a huge difference then. It had a lack of power just from the extra wind resistance. It will do better now since Thewespaul set my timing while I was visiting him. The truck is my 1985 F250 Ex cab with a N/A 7.3, zf5 and 3.55 gears. The camper (i assume) was built for a regular cab truck. The wind would swirl down to my cab roof, that the roof would push down and then spring back up with a loud "BOING!". I'm going to have a local aluminum welder build a spoiler to direct the air up and over the camper before I take it out again. This will keep the roof on place and also will help with fuel mileage. My truck doesn't have any antisway bars and it did feel slightly top heavy going around turns, but not dangerously so. I'm fine with it how it is. It's not a sports car by any stretch of the imagination.
Im timed at 9.5, used one of Garys lights.

rubberfish

Reaction score
A camper tie down can be something as simple a length of angle iron bolted to your frame
and extending out the side just enough to clear the body. A turnbuckle and bit of chain.
That takes care of your front mount and the rear can attach to the rear bumper.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A camper tie down can be something as simple a length of angle iron bolted to your frame
and extending out the side just enough to clear the body. A turnbuckle and bit of chain.
That takes care of your front mount and the rear can attach to the rear bumper.
Tomorrow the person selling will send pics of their setup and said they would give them to me all of it.
I'll post those pics tomorrow.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This is the way I'd go if it was me. I had to get this type of camper so I can still pull a trailer with ATVs loaded on it.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
here is my old rig, with a turbo I didn't even know the camper was there, unless it was a really windy day.
Rear tires inflated to 70, underbelly tie downs, adjustable rancho shocks in the rear cranked all the way up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is my old rig, with a turbo I didn't even know the camper was there, unless it was a really windy day.
Rear tires inflated to 70, underbelly tie downs, adjustable rancho shocks in the rear cranked all the way up.
The Banks sticker there being the important bit here!
That turbo really makes a difference.

Naz4x4

Reaction score
I have a small pop-up style truck camper and my 84 F-250 hauls it around no problem. That said, if I were planning on living on the road I'd seriously consider a small trailer instead. Truck campers tend to have VERY limited storage and most aren't very stable when off the truck. Personally I'd want the option of having an empty truck bed for potential work opportunities.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have a small pop-up style truck camper and my 84 F-250 hauls it around no problem. That said, if I were planning on living on the road I'd seriously consider a small trailer instead. Truck campers tend to have VERY limited storage and most aren't very stable when off the truck. Personally I'd want the option of having an empty truck bed for potential work opportunities.

Trailers have a ton of disadvantages, like more tires to worry about, parking is harder, driving in cities is harder. If it's one person, a truck camper is a way better choice. It's a good idea to have extra insurance on the trailer in case you hit something with it, for both liability purposes and damage to the trailer itself.

You can get cargo boxes that hang from the trailer hitch that are on a huge hinge (so you can swing it away from the rear of the truck when stopped) for extra cargo space on the back without pulling a trailer. I've been using one for over 2 years and it's awesome. They are pricey new though. I got mine for $300 used, they are about $650 new.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man when i posted this i didn't expect such a great response, almost makes me want to start a separate thread just for in bed camper stuff on OB. I think i have a good idea of upgrades/preventative maintenance ill work on for the truck.
Hoping for the best, thanks everyone on OilBurners again what a awesome resource.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online