Trouble code P0628

aztrooper

Reaction score
I am getting a trouble code P0628 on my 2004 Ram 3500 cummins. According to the trouble code chart, it is Fuel Lift Pump Ctrl Circ Low. I have cleared it and it just comes back but no check engine light and it runs. It used to every once in a while just stop running for 10 seconds and then start up again but hasn't done that lately in the last 5000 miles. What causes the P0628 code and what is the fix? Thanks. Bob

dslmechanic

Reaction score
How many miles on the truck?? And have you ever put a lift pump on it ???? If you are getting this code it usually is letting you know that it is starting to getr weak or atleast that has been the experience I have been having with them lately .. Is it getting harder to start?? I am in a war with a car lot about a customers truck that only has 117+++ miles on it and the engine has went as far South as you can get due to the lift pump sendind crap thru the fuel system..Hope this will help .. Kevin

Whit

Reaction score
this is an electrical issue

I know the lift pump recieves a half voltage command when ya turn the key on then when ya crank it its sposed to get a full voltage cammand from there

Myself I would remove the OEM lift pump and place it under the rear tire of the truck and then install a FASS II pump which comes complete with its own relay that is still driven on cammands from the ECM.......ger-er-done then fire up the truck an spin the wheel on the OEM junker and dont look back..........ever

aztrooper

Reaction score
Well, it was the lift pump going out. It did it to me once again on my way to California with a trailer and then was OK. Delivered the trailer and got about 50 miles from home and it went out all the way. Had it towed to a Chevy dealer and I jury rigged my transfer pump that transfers fuel from my aux tank to the main tank so that it would pump from the aux tank directly into the fuel line. The mechanic cut the main delivery steel fuel line about half way in the middle of the frame, we connected the output from the transfer pump to the fuel line and it worked. The only problem was that the fuel return was still pumping the excess fuel into the main tank. I ended having a full main tank. The good thing is that I had installed an overflow line from the main tank filler tube back to the aux tank. Now to put on a good lift pump in the line that we cut. Thanks for the help. By the way, I'm getting rid of the truck and getting out of the RV hauling business. I have 218000 miles on it.