Transmission shop near Yakima? (or Puyallup)

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Cubey to confirm your cooling path, you will come out of the trans, into your radiator, then out to the #779 and then back to your trans? Are putting a thermostatically controlled valve in between your radiator and your external cooler? I just didn't know if there are concerns about running your trans too cool....? Or how important MPG's are to you.

On youtube, there was some RV delivery driver that blocked his external cooler on his 2007 D/A (with 1mil miles) and he talked about better fuel economy by running his trans temp 100 degrees over ambient.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
(25:30 he talks about it)

Just thinking as you try to do the best by your trans predicament.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
@Cubey to confirm your cooling path, you will come out of the trans, into your radiator, then out to the #779 and then back to your trans? Are putting a thermostatically controlled valve in between your radiator and your external cooler? I just didn't know if there are concerns about running your trans too cool....? Or how important MPG's are to you.

On youtube, there was some RV delivery driver that blocked his external cooler on his 2007 D/A (with 1mil miles) and he talked about better fuel economy by running his trans temp 100 degrees over ambient.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
(25:30 he talks about it)

Just thinking as you try to do the best by your trans predicament.

The trans shop said that based on areas/seasons I drive in, I can just bypass the radiator's cooler. I was going to have to do that anyway, at least long enough to get to the trans shop, because the trans section of the radiator is contaminated from the dying transmission and will need to be flushed out. The shop can do the flushing, but money is very tight, so I'm just going to plug off the lines at the radiator and only run the cooler. I can always have it flushed later and reconnect it, if I find it's running too cold in winter. Since I am going to be installing a temp gauge, I'll be able to see if that's a problem or not. And it's about to be summer, so, it should be fine.

MPG is important, but not killing the transmission is more important.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the size and weight of your rig; bypassing your radiator's cooler scares me as it does the lion's share of cooling, especially in low-speed conditions, but I am NO EXPERT.

I'd be more apt to run the radiator's cooler and a good synthetic fluid vs bypassing it for the air to air cooler only. But you know what opinions are like........:D.

Then again, back in the late 90's, dad got a free 1994 chevy station wagon that the owners blew the engine up. They set the cruise at 75 on a hot day and the tranny lost OD and 3rd. 40K miles. We put in a junkyard engine, changed the tranny fluid, and bypassed the radiator with an external cooler. We drove that car to 232k when the tranny finally lost OD and 3rd for good.

So in reality I am just cluttering your thread up with more useless typing :rolleyes:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
With the size and weight of your rig; bypassing your radiator's cooler scares me as it does the lion's share of cooling, especially in low-speed conditions, but I am NO EXPERT.

I'd be more apt to run the radiator's cooler and a good synthetic fluid vs bypassing it for the air to air cooler only. But you know what opinions are like........:D.

Then again, back in the late 90's, dad got a free 1994 chevy station wagon that the owners blew the engine up. They set the cruise at 75 on a hot day and the tranny lost OD and 3rd. 40K miles. We put in a junkyard engine, changed the tranny fluid, and bypassed the radiator with an external cooler. We drove that car to 232k when the tranny finally lost OD and 3rd for good.

So in reality I am just cluttering your thread up with more useless typing :rolleyes:

The fan pulls air in though, first through the transmission cooler, then the AC condenser, then the radiator; so wouldn't it get some airflow at idle if the fan is turning?

I have to drop the trailer and take the RV to the transmission shop for tuning the kickdown and whatever, so I'll see how the temps look from here to there, 7 miles of city driving with stop and go. It's not hot here though, so, I don't know how good of a gauge that'll be.

Might just pay for the flush and be done with it, so it can be driven in all climates.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know the scientific data, or transfer rate, or what-have-ya but a liquid to liquid cooler transfers a lot more than an air to liquid cooler. that is the only reason I mentioned.

Sounds like you have the rebuilt tranny installed and are already driving it! That's great! Personally I would have the radiator flushed and hook the lines back up.

Regarding the gauge, just watch it and see if it sticks around 100 degrees above ambient temp or lower. If it does not, I would put the radiator back in the circuit.

So how are you liking the rebuild?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Transmission is still in the shop, I haven't installed it yet :cheers:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The cooler just got here. Walking to Napa to get adapter fittings. It has huge connections.

Attachments

• PXL_20220524_215520655.jpg
    PXL_20220524_215520655.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 8

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Eh, Napa had nothing that big. Didn't bother trying other parts retailers. Thankfully, I found 7/8-14 o-ring (10AN) to 3/8" hose barb fittings on Amazon for $14/each with free delivery tomorrow (due to the free Prime trial). It was that or hop on the bus and try a local shop 7.5 miles away that the Napa clerk suggested, and hope they had something to adapt.

You must be registered for see images attach

The cooler uses 7/8-14 o-ring (10AN), and the adapter fitting shown in my hand in the post above is 10AN X 37 degree JIC male flare. So, I can toss those fittings in the misc parts box and go directly from the cooler to 3/8" hose.

EDIT: Well heck I found aluminum ones for $9.44/each, Thursday delivery. I ordered a pair of them too. It's free returns, and I am waiting on the GV order to come still, so I'll probably return the $14/each ones since it's free returns. Never hurts to have spares in case one comes damaged or missing. $10 cheaper for the pair, every dollar counts right now. It's on credit, so waiting 7-10 days for a refund is no big deal.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission is still in the shop, I haven't installed it yet :cheers:
These are the times that try men's souls. No time for the sunshine soldier or the fair weather friend...... you're going to have the super C6 and a cart load of memories after this!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Sadly it looks like I'm gonna have to install it in the rain, courtesy of Oregon's lovely weather

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Sadly it looks like I'm gonna have to install it in the rain, courtesy of Oregon's lovely weather

Maybe it won't be too bad, something like this evening. Got caught in the rain towards the end of Lucy's walk, so she dragged me back once she finally noticed.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Haha your girly is so funny
Yeah tomorrow I'm hoping to at least get the bell bolted up, torque converter torqued, and driveline. We can button the rest up in the rain.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See!.... making memories! Who cares about the tranny install on a clear day while the birds sing, but the dreary Oregon rainy tranny install when the cooling line JUST WON'T GRAB A THREAD!!!! Now that's the stuff that memories are made of!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Haha your girly is so funny
Yeah tomorrow I'm hoping to at least get the bell bolted up, torque converter torqued, and driveline. We can button the rest up in the rain.

Yeah. I might need to just linger a couple extra days after, because there's only a good few free places between here the WA state fairgrounds RV park where I have to go pay $45/night, for at least 2 nights, to access my storage nearby, (plus uhaul truck) and they have events on the weekends, so the RV park might get full then. This coming weekend is going to be circus. As in, a literal circus, with animals. So, yeah, I need to plan my overnight stops accordingly so I can get there on a Tuesday when it should be cleared out.

I considered getting a uhaul while we waited but it would have cost just as much, and not kill a week of time while I drive up there, am there, and then go back towards Yakima to get on i84 to head for ID/UT. It's only ~150 miles to storage, but u-hauls charge by the mile, so, ~$300 for miles plus rental days/insurance, plus fuel... yeah, I'd have saved nothing by getting a uhaul and going up there. and I'd have had to sleep in it for a night or two while I emptied the storage unit. It's packed tight and all needs to be gone through, and at least half sold/given away. It's not a big unit (~3x6) but there's a lot of stuff in there, stacked up about 8ft high at right to the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online