Transmission shop near Yakima? (or Puyallup)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It's not a "911" call yet but it looks like I probably need to get my C6 rebuilt very soon.

I'm currently along i82, east of Yakima and heading towards it. Any recommendations?

I need the downtime as limited as possible. Maybe a shop can rebuild a core ahead of time and then drop it in so it's only in the shop for two days or so?

Alternatively and preferably, around Puyallup would be better since i need to go over anyway for a few days.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you can make it a little further, there's this trans shop I've used out in Hillsboro, OR that rebuilt my in laws e4od in 3 days, you could see if it's something they're interested in tackling really quickly, especially if you schedule it all out. It's called Reliable Transmission if you decide to look into it.

Trikebent

Reaction score
Puyallup transmission, see Rickey.
Also Raman Transmission in Puyallup.
A1 in Enumclaw
All were recommended by a local Cruising FB group.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Puyallup transmission, see Rickey.
Also Raman Transmission in Puyallup.
A1 in Enumclaw
All were recommended by a local Cruising FB group.

Puyallup trans is backed up two weeks. So is one in Yakima.

Rayman has a lot of bad reviews on Google maps. hmm

A couple other shops probably won't call me back with an estimate because shops are lazy like that

Trikebent

Reaction score
Robs transmission in Issaquah.
Dirty Dan in Tuckwilla.
Avoid ABC in Tacoma and TRC in Kent.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

There’s a couple 2wd C6 trannys in wrecking yards within 100 miles of puyallup. If you can pick one up maybe an independent shop nearby would put it in for you.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Robs transmission in Issaquah.
Dirty Dan in Tuckwilla.
Avoid ABC in Tacoma and TRC in Kent.

I spoked to the guy at Raymans for a long time. He's the highest price yet, $2700-3500. Others have been saying around $1500-2000.

The best best in terms of being done sooner is "Tidrick's Quality Transmission" in Yakima. They are happy to work on C6s because they are so easy, and don't mind working on motorhomes. He quoted roughly $1800-2000. But he can't get to it until next Wednesday and he'd have to keep it for a week. They appear to have a big enough yard (fenced) that if they need to drop the trailer to make it easier to life the RV, they should have room.

I guess what I'll do is go "extended rent" a uhaul van ($20/day plus $1/mile) and just live out of that for a week to avoid motel costs. I can also go deal with my storage unit on the west side of the mountains while they have the motorhome. It'll cost me over $300 in "miles" but the daily rent and damage waiver is cheap. Plus it'll get better MPG and gas costs less, so that's a factor.

I can't stay a motel for a week for $500 (about the cost for the week of van rental including, gas), plus I'll also get the storage work done so I won't have to drive the RV over there later, pay for an RV park for a couple nights, and rent a uhaul to empty storage then (long story logistically) so that'll save me money later.

Rental cars are stupidly expensive right now ($75-100/day) and wouldn't have much cargo room so the uhaul cargo van would be best. Might grab a cheap camping tent from Walmart to tied me over a few days after storage has been delt with, since the van is gonna have a bunch of stuff in it and might not have room for me to sleep.

I'm just gonna have to carry a balance on my low interest credit card for several months until I can catch up budget wise. Not the end of the world. No regrets hauling ass up here and getting the GVOD. It's still gonna have to wait to be put on though, since I don't have a spare driveshaft to have shortened and installed. Too bad, since that would be a good time. But no matter, the GVOD is stored away safely in a cabinet for later.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'm thinking i may sink some upgrades into it too, at the very least a bigger trans cooler. They don't cost much ($60 retail) and it would go a long way for better cooling.

The factory one isn't that big:

I'm also tempted to get one of these so I can later install a trans temp probe. This seems to be the only pan with a probe bung already on it. I'd have to get it shipped to the transmission shop though.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you watch your Pennie’s like I do. This adds 2 quarts, aluminum, drain plug and is in stock. Summit ships quickly.

Attachments

• 2A59CA74-D607-485B-B4CF-0230F4897B57.png
    2A59CA74-D607-485B-B4CF-0230F4897B57.png
    581 KB · Views: 6

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I know you watch your Pennie’s like I do. This adds 2 quarts, aluminum, drain plug and is in stock. Summit ships quickly.
Aluminum yes, drain plug yes, deeper pan yes, but no temperature sensor port sadly. Summit and others have the B&M in stock. Maybe the temp probe option isn't worth the extra $80?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum is easy to drill and tap. My B&M temperature Guage sender mounts in transmission line. In the plastic bag there are t fittings with an adapter that the sender screws into if you don’t have threads In the pan.

Attachments

• DADE63A7-E1DC-4564-A770-C9F784A97778.jpeg
    DADE63A7-E1DC-4564-A770-C9F784A97778.jpeg
    557.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Aluminum is easy to drill and tap. My B&M temperature Guage sender mounts in transmission line.

Keep in mind I'm having to rely on a shop and can't easily order stuff online. I wouldn't be able to stop and try to modify a pan. Now, I could always drop and replace the pan in the future. Might just do that, put off a pan upgrade and just stick with a cooler upgrade.

I might be worried about a deeper pan anyway, since I don't have a lifted/4wd van and I do go down rutted roads sometimes so ground clearance might be an issue.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the shop has c6 pans laying around you might ask if they’ll trade a 4x4 pan for yours if it‘s not the 4x4 pan already, they’re a couple inches deeper.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If the shop has c6 pans laying around you might ask if they’ll trade a 4x4 pan for yours if it‘s not the 4x4 pan already, they’re a couple inches deeper.

Missing the point entirely. I want to add a trans oil temperature gauge some day, so I want a pan that can accept the probe. Only alternative is one of these in a steel pan, which might be ok, if some thread locker is used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online