Transmission issues- rumble strip & hunting OD

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been driving my truck for about a year since my motor swap. I’ve towed a fair bit when I do use the truck but recently I had a tool trailer on that was maybe 9k…first thing I’ve noticed is at higher speeds it was jumping back and forth between OD and 4th..then when I’d come to stop it felt like it jumped down a bunch of gears at once rather than a nice smooth transition.

Now I just drive with OD (past day)
I just hooked up a friends 3axle trailer to pick up hay tomorrow and when I start out from a stop the whole truck is jumping and shaking..if I floor it it smooths out and is fine. But if I lightly accelerate it’s rough.

I’ve got good fluid and good fluid level. I’ve got an upgraded Tc and valve body that always had firm shifts. This was installed prior to me so I’m not sure what it is.

The TPS on the injection pump looks clean and the plug is hooked up..I may have a spare somewhere and I could clean it regardless

But any other input on this?

Worst case the transmission is shot? What’s that cost?

Thanks

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Transmission rebuild is about $4k depending on what hard parts are broken/worn.
Before jumping to rebuild, you say good fluid, is it still bright red and transparent? Not cloudy?
Check for fault codes.
Adjust your fipl

That's just to start.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Any time the OD light is flashing that indicates it has a fault code.

Sometimes it stores faults too, the transmission control unit is kind of dumb though so getting codes can be difficult at times.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I looked it up and I’m seeing that there is a test port and you jump the wires and the check engine light blinks. Is that all I need here or do I need some obd1 reader?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You can use the flash codes, or if you had an obd1 reader you could use it too, both are options.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took the readings from the fipl at idle setting I’m getting 1.08 and full throttle 3.8

I’m not sure if I’m supposed to have anything else unplugged (high idle-not sure I have that) and that’s key on ignition off

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
OD and 4th.
OD is 4th gear in a E4OD transmission.
You can check fault codes on these old geezers?

Is that all I need here or do I need some obd1 reader?
Yes you can check them. The ODB1 port is under the hood in front of the brake booster and master cylinder. From the factory, they had a cover that was held on by two clips and it was attached to the fender if I remember right.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d check my u joints also. I’ve seen them bind up tight enough to stop a truck.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drained some fluid!
It’s all metallic looking!

So I found a 60k take out that was gone through in 2016. Asking $750

Or there is some super beefy monster brand transmission (never heard of) high hp rating in the crate for $2250..guy said it doesn’t fit his f100

Both are e4od and the first came out of a 96 powerstroke is that ok?

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I was down there I noticed a little bit of coolant dripping from around the starter?

Don’t tell me that can just be heads or something?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
There's also the heater core lines over there, could be weeping then running down the head.

Not sure if a power stroke e4od will bolt up, I know a gasser one will not.