Transmission cooler

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
So I have the E4OD in my truck. I have been looking at tranny coolers. Is there such a thing as a "too big" cooler?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have the E4OD in my truck. I have been looking at tranny coolers. Is there such a thing as a "too big" cooler?

In short, NO. The biggest I've seen anyone accomplish was using the a/c condenser for the trans fluid with no problems.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not on these trucks. I'm following OMB's suggestion and am running two of the biggest ones Hayden sells in parallel and a third one robbed off a Dodge with a pusher cooling fan.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
No.

If you want to go big, use the 5R110 tranny cooler (6.0 cooler)

Another real good cooler is from Tru Cool. www.dieselsite.com :thumbsup:

Tru Cool, Long MFG makes the OE cooler for Ford. All are stacked plate design for minimal pressure drop.;Sweet

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B&M 70264 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler

works in any application up to 28,000 GVW

Use with ATF that withstands 450F and you will have a happy transmission!

Javier

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If You're looking for something already assembled there are some cooler fan kits that come with a thermostat switch preset to 175f or something like that and they come in different materials and of course sizes. I used this on a fleet of trucks a company uses to pull medium size trailers with auto transmissions and they help a lot in the summer since they did not have to rebuild any more of their transmissions after this upgrade.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
One of these critters will sure do the trick I just installed one for an extra engine oil cooler in my turbo supply line to take a little extra heat off. Nice thing with those is you can mount them anywhere out of the airflow for the rad so the excess heat is not going to the coolant and overheating you on a long pull. Heck I mounted my oil cooler back on top of the headache rack. Added about a qt and a half of capacity in the process Every little bit helps.
Make sure you are running a quality synthetic if you want that tranny to last.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle