Transfer Case USE… strain factor in high range

Desert Diesel Dog

Reaction score
Hi to the group…

Basic Question Regarding… Transfer Case USE… not necessarily ‘how it works’.

QUESTION; The difference of STRAIN on the transfer case while using it in the High Range… or… Low Range. [off road]

I seem to have a wide range 5 speed manual transmission with a 7.3 idi. With this transmission the 1st gear seems very low and often low enough for more challenging hills even in the ‘high range’. [my style of 4 wheelin’ is Crawling not Racing]

My question is… does using this gear in the ‘high range’ put any more strain on the transfer case then if I stuck it in the ‘low range’ in a comparable engine to wheels ratio? [I hope I am making enough sense here]

Or… what is the ‘Strain Factor’ if I shifted into 2nd [high range]?

Thanks, kj

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Over thinking it.
I was screwing around in 2ft of
Snow in 3rd/low (c6, direct drive) on the governor last night and didn't kill anything.

Only time the tcase really gets "strained" is pulling big loads or when you get tires jammed and load up the drivetrain, I think you would drop a driveshaft or blow ujoints before killing the tcase.

The chain can, and does, stretch though. Especially during harder use.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
as stated the chain is the weak link inside the case. it can stretch. I used to have a BW1345 tcase in my crawler, now I run a 205 just for brute strength

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
My 208 has a bit of a whine. Thinking about putting a 205 in but dont really want to lose my shift on the fly since its a DD in MI/Iowa.