Tranny Cooler

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
As some of you know i only use my truck as a daily driver.

Do you think it would be of any benefit to the transmission to add a larger tranny cooler? I would think that any upgrade in cooling would be beneficial. i don't currently have a tranny temp gauge so i don't know what it is running.

I have the factory cooler on the truck. it seems to have a bunch of grease and grime on the fittings. I don't know if it is leaking or not.

I have read about some of the upper end coolers. i found a complete kit today at carquest that was good up to 10,000lb's. they wanted $80 for it. the cooler was all alluminum.

Thanks

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Yes the tranny will benefit from a bigger cooler. Stick with the stacked plate coolers. TruCool makes a great cooler for the price. Ford 6.0 cooler is another option. This will take a little more work to instal.

You should add a temp gauge too. It will give you a heads up if the tranny is having issues.:D

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Yes the tranny will benefit from a bigger cooler. Stick with the stacked plate coolers. TruCool makes a great cooler for the price. Ford 6.0 cooler is another option. This will take a little more work to instal.

You should add a temp gauge too. It will give you a heads up if the tranny is having issues.:D

I will hopefully have a temp gauge around christmas time, when i get some gift $$$$:D:sly.

I will check out trucool.

What all would have to be done to adapt a 6.0L cooler and for DD use would that big cooler be worth it?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
To mount the 6.oh cooler. You will need to do a little fabricating and adapting.

Fab up some brackets to mount it. Then adapt the 1/2' lines to fit your 5/16" lines. Not really hard, just takes some tinkering. The Trucool units come with universal mounting hardware. They require a little tinkering too.:D
But they are easier to install because of their smaller size.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If your e4od has never been modified, then it doesn't always pump fluid to some very important places until it gets way too hot and if you are in city stop and go traffic in the summer, you don't always have to be towing for them to puke all their fluid out on the ground because of it ( most good rebuilders install a kit that modifies this nasty oversight when they rebuild the things) but a good cooler on there will keep the fluid temps down to where they won't become a major problem , the cool fluid in the rest of the box will draw the heat off the problem area. Of course, going in and installing the kit would be a really good idea, but I understand it involves some minor surgery.

gandalf

Reaction score
I have the Tru-Cool Max 4739. Until just this week I also had the bypass unit installed. That's the blue "H" shaped thing shown in one of the links earlier in this thread. I removed the bypass and dropped the running temp by a good 30*F. In my test run up Hwy 17, to the summit, the transmission temp never hit 150*F.

The truck is a '92 NA 7.3, with a big cabover camper. That camper has the aerodynamics of a huge brick.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I removed the bypass and dropped the running temp by a good 30*F. In my test run up Hwy 17, to the summit, the transmission temp never hit 150*F.

150 is the minimum operating temp you want though.i had this problem too and installed a 180 t-stat pre - external cooler.now im running around the ideal 175.

hmm.im not sure what the story is at that blue true-cool one.
http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/M...e=708-4739P6&Category_Code=trucool-MAX-cooler

the one i have is for year round.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

The first one is a medium duty cooler. Good for a vehicle that dose some light towing ect.

The second one is a heavy duty unit. This is the cooler found in the Ford V10 powered SD's without the factory brackets. I always recomend this unit.

Great for heavy towing, city driving or any condition that would create a large amount of heat.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

Both are a light duty cooler. Good for light towing, buzzing around town ect.

This type cooler was used with some of the factory trailer tow packages.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both are a light duty cooler. Good for light towing, buzzing around town ect.

This type cooler was used with some of the factory trailer tow packages.

thats the one i have that was over cooling my 8k lb empty truck.:D
trans fluid temps where just 120-130 with temp sensor @ before radiators trans section of cooler,(besides when loaded/crawling through traffic) before the t-stat install.
it took a long time cruising threw 25 mph zones/drive through's to get up to just normal op temp.not bad in july/aug,but the rest of the year was running too cool.once you hit 35 and lockup,thats all she wrote,right back down to low 100's again.
its "supposed" to be a bypass type.but however they have it,doesn't work for crap.the t-stat cured it.

i did put an e-fan behind it just a bit ago for when the plow is on though.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Revelstoke

Reaction score
Synthetic fluid and a gauge are the big helps. I pull a pass with about a 4000+ foot gain in 22 miles. I overheat all the time, so I need a fan on my cooling unit, because the airflow is not great at the lower, climbing speeds. Might be a fix for in town; however, a bigger cooler, sans the fan, if it keeps you operating temps, may help avoid the more expensive fan. I'd try it before spending more bucks on a fan. I need a fan for my application, as I've said.