Tranny Cooler

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying this transpan: Derale #14208, E4OD / 4R100 / 5R110W with temp gauge and sender.

Tranny guy is kind of ticking me off with his sweet time, still have yet to try it out, but so long as it works right first time out, I'll be a happy camper.

Their claim on the pan is 20-50 degrees cooler. I also chose the larger sump of 8 1/3 qts over stock, that's another 2 gallons, plus it has an extra bung for temp sensor.

I'll wait and see what the SoCal WX does this summer, my concern after reading some of the minimum temps is, I live at altitude and we frost up pretty good, will it be too cold in winter? Won't know until we know I guess.

What do you fellas think? Anyone own one of these pans?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
thats the one i have that was over cooling my 8k lb empty truck.:D
trans fluid temps where just 120-130 with temp sensor @ before radiators trans section of cooler,(besides when loaded/crawling through traffic) before the t-stat install.
it took a long time cruising threw 25 mph zones/drive through's to get up to just normal op temp.not bad in july/aug,but the rest of the year was running too cool.once you hit 35 and lockup,thats all she wrote,right back down to low 100's again.
its "supposed" to be a bypass type.but however they have it,doesn't work for crap.the t-stat cured it.

i did put an e-fan behind it just a bit ago for when the plow is on though.

Did you by-pass altogether the factory bottom radiator cooler, or is your aux. cooler in series with it?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I ended up buying this transpan: Derale #14208, E4OD / 4R100 / 5R110W with temp gauge and sender.

Tranny guy is kind of ticking me off with his sweet time, still have yet to try it out, but so long as it works right first time out, I'll be a happy camper.

Their claim on the pan is 20-50 degrees cooler. I also chose the larger sump of 8 1/3 qts over stock, that's another 2 gallons, plus it has an extra bung for temp sensor.

I'll wait and see what the SoCal WX does this summer, my concern after reading some of the minimum temps is, I live at altitude and we frost up pretty good, will it be too cold in winter? Won't know until we know I guess.

What do you fellas think? Anyone own one of these pans?

The problem with a bigger pan is the amount of fluid. You have added more fluid. It will take longer to heat up. Not a bad thing. At the same time you can still overheat the tranny. Now the additional fluid will work against you. It will take longer to cool down. This is where the damage can happen.

I always recommend a bigger cooler over a bigger pan. The cooler is designed to cool the fluid. The pan is a reservior, not that great for cooling the fluid.

As for reading the tranny temp. Use the test port on the drivers side of the tranny. You will have a more accurate reading of the temp.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you by-pass altogether the factory bottom radiator cooler, or is your aux. cooler in series with it?

no i kept the factory cooler/warmer section of the radiator in line.
i feel bypassing the water cooler/warmer is not a good idea.
however i could have with a t-stat now,but chose not to,cus when plowing,now i have an adjustable fan controller that i can turn my fans on high to keep the engines coolant nice and cool and can hit the switch on the trans cooler too.plus for fuel economy,i wanted the help from the rad to get the trans fluid temp up to 150-175 as soon as possible.

trans temp sending unit (placed inline just before the rad-the hottest fluid temp readings just before it gets cooled) - factory cooler/warmer - coolant filter - 180° T-stat - aux cooler - return line back to trans.
(E-fans on rad, self controlled variable rate w/ manual in cab potentiometer / E-fan via on/off switch on trans cooler)
sounds messy,but quite simple really lol.this setup gets my trans up to normal operating temp MUCH faster,and keeping it cool is no sweat.(i just like to see 200 degrees or less.30k miles flushes) once i see 200,i stop plowing and wait for it to cool.will be nice to see if i can reduce the wait time this year with the e-fan on the cooler.don't really need the e-fan during the summer,though it was fun to play with to watch it drop the temps even without converter lockup going under 35.though it takes a couple mins to cool down so much fluid. probably would be quicker if i updated to the '95 high volume pump,but that's getting fussy for my needs now lol.

Last edited: