Towing ?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
NA IDI will pull a house down,
I know a guy who actually did this with his '86 Bronco (not me). Another guy bought an old, run down house that was right next to his. He wanted to tear it down. He ran a combination of chains and a long cable around the house. They hooked it to the Bronco. Then the owner took a chainsaw and cut all the way around the bottom of the house. From what I was told, the Bronco didn't struggle very much to pull it over. I saw it when it was down, after I got home from work, but they didn't wait for me to pull it down.:(

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Lol. I live in a trailer house. 76 ft long 14ft wide. And like most guys that don't like making more than one trip, when we moved here to Springtown from Poolville (25 miles) I put everything inside the house and disconnected the sewage lines, water lines and dropped the main power going into house and hooked up to the old 85 4door lwb 2wd with a flatbed and ran chains from the pockets of the flatbed around the base of my receiver a few times and dropped the house on it. That old girl is na with 4.10 dually and took it's time at 30-35 mph but got me moved and I was leveled back up and all my electrics and water and sewage was hooked back up in a day! Burned a quarter of a tank, but she did it!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Lol. I live in a trailer house. 76 ft long 14ft wide. And like most guys that don't like making more than one trip, when we moved here to Springtown from Poolville (25 miles) I put everything inside the house and disconnected the sewage lines, water lines and dropped the main power going into house and hooked up to the old 85 4door lwb 2wd with a flatbed and ran chains from the pockets of the flatbed around the base of my receiver a few times and dropped the house on it. That old girl is na with 4.10 dually and took it's time at 30-35 mph but got me moved and I was leveled back up and all my electrics and water and sewage was hooked back up in a day! Burned a quarter of a tank, but she did it!
I've heard of guys doing similar things, but I haven't seen it nor do I have the desire to try it myself. The first guy who was talking about it said that he was using a 3/4 ton Chevy and he had to put some 4x4s between the leaf springs and the frame so that nothing broke. The frame was resting on the springs without the blocks. This is also the same guy who claimed that his 1995 Chevy, Ex cab dually with a 454 would get 16 MPG while towing a car on a trailer down the highway so take it all how you will. My response to the last story was "the only way it could do that would be if it was idling in neutral while a Ford was pulling it all down the highway". Somehow I got the impression that he didn't care for that remark of mine.:rolleyes:

jericho

Reaction score
On a naturally aspirated stock tuned ip, is using a pyro necessary while towing? I was under the impression the turbo created the hi temps. I don't tow over 7500# with my na stock setup. But I don't have a pyro.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On a naturally aspirated stock tuned ip, is using a pyro necessary while towing? I was under the impression the turbo created the hi temps. I don't tow over 7500# with my na stock setup.
Yes. It's actually more important running N/A. A turbo will give you more air to burn your fuel more completely. The unburned fuel will give you higher EGTs faster than burning it all.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yup. I have used several Autometers. They are reliable and money well spent. Just take your time drilling and tapping a hole in the ex manifold, and the rest is a walk in the park and you will be happy that you installed it

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the '86 6.9 idi down to Az a few years ago. Loaded with a 2K# slide in camper. Basically Portland to Phoenix and down through Utah. Hills were fun at about 37 MPH going up. Down was no problem. Came back up through Cali on I-5. Next trip will be with the '94 idiT crewcab dually. Still won't set any speed records but working at trying to improve that a bit also.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m towing almost every day with my 94 f350 idi turbo zf5 4:10 gears. I think the lightest load I’ve ever hauled was around 4000 pounds. I’m generally hooked to around 6-8000. Heaviest pull was 22,000 pounds. Truck handled it like a champ. I had to go to 35 mph in 2nd gear on a 8% grade with that load. Since then I’ve got a 3582 turbo and a 90cc pump from @Thewespaul and towing is even easier now. Almost don’t notice my 6500 pound stock trailer behind me. In my opinion, it’s hard to beat the idi for reliability when towing. It won’t always be fast, but it’s rare if I’m not doing the speed limit when towing. New trucks go faster, idi will go far. I know some of the builds Wes has done will pull the same, if not outpull, as 6.0 and 7.3 powerstrokes.

All this being said, I am very biased towards the idi LOL I just know what I do and am able to do with mine

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know how you guys are doing over 70 towing any weight with an idi.
My maxed pump with an s366 turbo was still barely maintaining 72 flat ground with 7000lb gross trailer weight (open car hauler)

I swapped in a 5.9 12valve ppump. and have never looked back. Dead nuts simple. Ample room, great mileage :D

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know how you guys are doing over 70 towing any weight with an idi.
My maxed pump with an s366 turbo was still barely maintaining 72 flat ground with 7000lb gross trailer weight (open car hauler)

I swapped in a 5.9 12valve ppump. and have never looked back. Dead nuts simple. Ample room, great mileage :D
It was the stock pump...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jericho

Reaction score
Yup. I have used several Autometers. They are reliable and money well spent. Just take your time drilling and tapping a hole in the ex manifold, and the rest is a walk in the park and you will be happy that you installed it
Where is the good place to tap the manifold? near the back cylinder on the passenger side? I guess there's not enough room to drill much past that point.