Towing temps boost pyrometer and gears

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also for grins and giggles I checked the stock (note stock) RWHP of a 2015 Cummins 6.7 and its 240-250. A 7.3 properly tuned with a turned up pump, good turbo 093 or 088, 3inch downpipe, 4 inch exhaust, fresh injectors, should be making 190-210 RWHP. There is a dyno run somewhere from a user named 91dirtydiesel hitting 202RWHP with a very similar setup. Yes 30 more HP would be great, the point though is with the setup you have you should be running somewhere close to 7.3 Powerstroke numbers and have no problem pulling your load. Have you done the rest of the maintenance on your truck? If you bought the truck used then get the regular maintenance freshened up.
Uh, guys? I've made 250 at the wheels, reliably, across two trucks and two seperate dyno machines and two years with *just* a turbo and a RD2-110 pump.
Yes, it's more expensive than the stock IPs, but not being fuel limited really makes it better.
I wasn't pushing more than 12-15 PSI either.

I mean, overworking the problem and spending a lot of money on exhausts and such is great, but the key is really an oversized IP that can put out the fuel needed *without* maxing out the pump - I think it just plain times it better when it's not maxed out.

And yes, this setup is great for towing. I'm running stock 235-85-R16 tires, 4.10 gears with a 5-speed zf, and once I hit highway speed, I'm towing in 5th. All the time.
When you are pulling at 70, RPMs are up in the 2500 range anyway, right at peak torque - and it pulls nice and hard.

Unfortunately, I haven't hauled *that* much with my current 93(250rwhp with 2.5 straight pipe and ford factory turbo), but with my 88(banks sidewinder, 3" exhaust with glass pack) I hauled quite a bit. Never really had trouble with power except on really long hills - I'd have to back off to avoid high water temps.

My current rig, I've only hauled a '92 on a flat bed(so around 9k total) and did the speed limit almost all the way(including 75 on a stretch of freeway). And I had to be careful during that trip, because my clutch would start slipping if I floored it above 2500 - it just couldn't handle the torque.

Oh, one other thing. I have a Smoke Puff Limiter on that pump, and it makes all the difference. Makes it pull harder with no smoke down low(no overfueling), while not restricting the top end when I have the boost to support more fuel.

Anyway, that's my 2c.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Non gated 088 with just 90cc pump can see about 20psi and egts stayed in check without intercooler with me. With a 110cc I'd imagine more is possible the larger exhaust wheel actually isn't a bad thing more exhaust flow with same intake wheel as a wastegated turbo no choke out at high rpms. However the gated turbo will gain you much torque at lower rpms and spool is drastically better/faster, I went from 088 ats to stock turbo with 60-1 wheel mod done by typ4 recently. Currently I couldn't tell you very accurate egts my probe is in my upper part of down pipe because that's where banks put a threaded hole and I haven't taped my up pipe or manifold for a guage yet

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All that and no pyro?? Well anyway sounds like a nice upgraded pump and injectors would be nice. I'll have to save up for that after getting these gears done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did have the pyro on the 088 if I was full throttle going up the pass doing 75 I could get 1100 before I backed out with the stock pump maxed before. Minding that's clinmbing the Rockies in Oregon so like 2 hours of going up before it levels out some. Custom intake and 4 inch exhaust helped me a bit with it

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gears are done! Mechanic thought the truck drives really well which is always nice to hear. Gonna try towing again next week. And for fun I'm doing the oil in fan clutch mid in case new one arrives too late. I'll post results

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
So I'm thinking aside from the possible above turbo leaks which I'll try to check soon. I may make a cold air pickup or even an intercooler.

I towed and overheated yesterday. I've tried two different napa fan clutches with no improvement. And yes I've replaced every other single piece of the cooling system! I'm still convinced it's a fan clutch problem especially since it heats up a lot idling after towing. so I ordered a ford motorcraft fan clutch hoping it fixes it.

Aside from that the truck still towed pretty weak even on flat ground I think the 35's which are big and wide are just bogging me down. Anyone have experience running 35/12.5/17 tires and 4.88 gears?? No I'm not really concerned about mileage just the ability to pull a hill and not kill my motor.

Did you ever get the second half of your fan shroud back on?
Ive got 3:55s zf5 34" tires and pulled a 11,000 tank of fertilizer today. Nailed it up a relatively small hill, temp got to "L" and egt hit 1,100. I was in 4th goin 55-60

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't tow yet but took the truck for a drive up the mountain to do some shooting. Gears helped a lot. I can accelerate in 5th up hill! That's a big change. I'm doing about 2400 rpm at 60 mph but it's worth it. Cant wait to see how much better it tows. I'll try that Monday.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well did you already change the gear when you put the bigger tires on. If not is should be within a few mph

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I added a real coolant temp guage so I can monitor that more closely. What should my max temp be? 230??

Also I rigged up a Cold air intake that goes right by the driver headlight out if black abs tubing. So far I think the egt's are already lower but we will really see when I tow my trailer tomorrow. Either way has to be better than sucking hot air right off the exhaust manifold.
You must be registered for see images attach

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gears did you end up with? 4.10 ? 4.88?
I put in 4.88. With my tires being 35's (33.5" according to my tape measure with weight on them) that puts my effective ratio a little lower than a set of 4.10 would be stock.

Good thing I did too truck and trailer combined weighed 13800 lbs on the scale and that's without water.
So my trailer is about 7200 notvthe 5k it states on the sticker!

Towed way better on the flats today! Temps stayed 190-210. I'll have to try the grade that has been killing me and see if I can get up there without an over heat.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
I put in 4.88. With my tires being 35's (33.5" according to my tape measure with weight on them) that puts my effective ratio a little lower than a set of 4.10 would be stock.

Good thing I did too truck and trailer combined weighed 13800 lbs on the scale and that's without water.
So my trailer is about 7200 notvthe 5k it states on the sticker!

Towed way better on the flats today! Temps stayed 190-210. I'll have to try the grade that has been killing me and see if I can get up there without an over heat.

Gonna have to fill me in on your fuel milage with them low gears! Im thinkin 4:10s might be in the future...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online